1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Moving stuff

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by fumanchu, Jul 16, 2013.

1. fumanchu

fumanchu Gardener

Retired thankugod
    Ratings:
    +432
    I'm finding that, because I don't know plants, that some things are too tall and some are too short and in the wrong place. Soo.. I was given a rose plant - no idea which kind of rose but it's small and has no flowers yet. I want to move it - if I'm careful can I do it now?
    Next Q - I've got a lilac that's growing too tall, it isn't bushy just more like tree shape. Can I prune it and when?
    Next :snork: - my OH has hauled out all my aquilegia before the seeds dropped. Will I lose this all or will some be hiding in the ground and come back to life next year (by some miracle lol)
    Lastly is there anything I can plant now in the way of summer perennials? I don't bother with annuals because summer here is too short.
    Think that's all my problems listed lol!

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,608
    Yes you can move the rose now but ideally it would be best left until it's dormant later in the year. When you move it keep it watered in this hot weather and give it a liquid feed to, just the once to give it a helping hand. Roses generally shouldn't be fed after July.

Lilacs are deciduous (drop there leaves for winter) and this would be the best time to prune, again when it's dormant.

I've grown Aquilegias for the first time this year, so am not sure about the answer to this question. If the plants were new this year then I think the answer's no, but if they were there last year you may have some seeds still in the ground.

It is really a little late to plant perennials now. If there are any still available to buy the chances are they have bloomed or will be blooming right now and would probably die back with the move from pot to ground. If you are prepared to wait until next year to see them in flower then you could plant them now, once again keeping them watered in this dry spell and especially until they have their roots established. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • fumanchu

fumanchu Gardener

Retired thankugod
      Ratings:
      +432
      Ok that covers everything thanks. Some aquilegia came up in different colours but I have got tonds of it all over the garden, it's one of the few things that grows easily here. Re summer colour I'll just leave it and sort out more permanent stuff for next year. TY!

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      I label things with WHERE I want to mvoe them too, and then actually mvoe them in the Autumn (I do move some things when in growth / flower, but its more hassle to water them to keep them alive, and it almost always sets them back and they take a year off to recover :(

If you do move something in Mid Summer its worth reducing its leaves / "top" by 1/3rd to compensate for the fact that its roots won't be able to drink as much as quickly after being disturbed (and watering it regularly will mean that they roots that are left won't have to work too hard to find water)

• Like Like x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
      • fumanchu

fumanchu Gardener

Retired thankugod
        Ratings:
        +432
        Ok that makes sense ty.