Moving Trees

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Mike77, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Mike77

Mike77 Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    I have some smallish fruit trees that I planted this year. I didn't plan it very well and want to move two of them. They still have some leaves on them. Am I best to hold off a bit or do it now? We're getting regular frost now so the earth could be too hard to dig soon.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    They won't be actively growing now so should be fine :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
      +8,083
      Agree with Zigs, not a bother to move them now or anytime before their Sap begins to rise next Spring. If you live in a dry part of the world.....I don’t:frown: then be sure to keep them well watered next season.
      Getting the spacing right for planting trees is always difficult as if you allow enough room for them to reach their ultimate size you end up with a whole load of trees in isolation!
      I didn’t know until not that long ago that these wonderful avenues of trees planted in say Victorian Times with pretty well perfect spacing were only achieved by removing ones to leave the proper spacing as the trees grew. I thought they were just really clever and patiently waited for the desired effect:).

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Mike77

Mike77 Gardener

Ratings:
        +172
        Thanks folks will move them now. My planning problem is that I planted a fairly large cherry tree in front of where I now plan to put a decking. I've also put an apple tree right where I now plan to put a wildlife pond.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
          +2,830
          It is important to get the structural things right at the beginning when making big changes to a garden. By structural, I mean the trees and hedges, sometimes referred to as “the bones of a garden”, the things that take time to grow and establish. As you are finding this takes time and thought to get right. It’s no problem to move young trees that have recently been planted. Hope you got it right this time. A good tip is to consider the views from the vantage points that you will most often see, say from the house or seating areas.

• Like Like x 1
          • Mike77

Mike77 Gardener

Ratings:
            +172
            Job done. The apple tree was easy. This tree didn't do to well and have been debating getting rid of it. It didn't appear to have grown much new roots. I want a mid season apple anyway as I have another late, so if this tree doesn't take I won't cry too much about it. The roots on the cherry tree were huge and I could hardly lift the thing. Hope this one is ok as it's a nice healthy chunky tree.

Yup that's pretty much what I've been aiming to try and get done this year. Bought the house earlier this year. The garden had been left overgrown for about 30 years. Had to get the whole place dug out and levelled. The trees where one of the first things I got planted. It was only when I was out sitting in the garden in summer that I realised I had planted a big cherry tree right in the spot that gets the sun late in evening. Good for the tree but ideal for a decking area to sit. Hedging wise I've planted 25 bamboos on 3 different borders (1 left to do). These are coming a long well but it's going to be a few years until they provide the desired effect.

• Like Like x 1
            • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
              +8,083
              When deciding where to plant a new tree I get some unsuspecting soul to walk around the garden with tree in hand while I give instructions as to where to stand with it to see if it looks right. This process can take some considerable time as I’m not the best at visualisation. Often the tree ends up being planted where I first thought of hours before the “walking” tree started to be paraded about. It’s odd but these occasions are usually accompanied by much muttering, sighing and the odd swear word from my helper, I can’t think why:)

• Funny Funny x 2
              • Like Like x 1
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
                Ratings:
                +31,462
                I know what you mean !!!!
                As i have to do the same, i'm the one who has to move the tree about, but i don't mutter,sigh or swear :pathd:

• Funny Funny x 2
                • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
                  +2,830
                  I do this too with much the same result from the helper.

• Funny Funny x 2