1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Mower and tools buying advice needed

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by m47een, Feb 13, 2014.

1. m47een

m47een Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone, recently joined this forum and have spent many hours reading and learning. I am new to gardening and having recently moved in to our own place I thought its best to start learning quickly as I now have some gardens to maintain. Not having any tools I have drawn up a list of items which I think are the basics to get me started. Please let me know if I have missed anything or if you think there is something on the list that I wont really need to start with.

Spade
    Fork
    Rake
    Hoe
    Gloves
    Secateurs

Regarding the spade and fork I have found mixed advice on whether to go for a stainless steel or carbon steel. I don't mind paying a little bit more if it means getting good tools as I am hoping they will last me for many years to come. Therefore any pointers on what to look out for or things to avoid is much appreciated.

Next up I am looking to buy a petrol mower, now I am not sure if I should buy a new cheap non branded one or buy a used one from eBay. Budget for the mower is a little tight around £200-£300. One that ticks all the boxes is the Honda HRX QX range a new is plain out of budget as its around £700-800+. What I am not sure about is,

1. Is it even worth considering buying a used one or are is it a false economy?
    2. If it is OK to buy used, what sort of things should I be looking out for?
    3. Is it best to avoid the commercially used ones as they would have had a hard life?

I will try post some pictures of my two gardens front and back in the morning so you good people can get a good idea of what sort of work I have ahead of me and so can recommend any tools I should buy to help with the job.

Many Thanks
    Abdul

2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,271
    Abdul
    I have used Bulldog spade and fork for 30 years now with no problems, a bit pricey not stainless.
    Rake and hoe I inherited from my father who also used Bulldog spade and fork.
    Do handle them before buying and check not too heavy, too long or too short.
    Secateurs I have had a pair of Felco No2 for many years again pricey but comfortable and maintainable.
    If your garden has shrubs/trees then I would suggest you consider a good pair of loppers for the thicker stuff and also a folding pruning saw.
    Car boot sales and second hand tool stalls can provide bargains.
    Nigel

3. m47een

m47een Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    For Secateurs I was considering Felco No. 5, I imagine these should be adequate for general gardening needs. Amazon has them for £21 cheapest I could find.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

4. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,571
    Felco's are very popular, I don't think you can go far wrong with those m47een. :)

Honda's are a good make of mower with good engines, I had one for fourteen years. Have a look at local suppliers, Honda usually have mowers across a wide price range. Beware of buying any mower with a Chinese built engine, they tend to be unreliable.