Mower for meadow grass

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Finston Pickle, Jan 18, 2022.

1. Finston Pickle

Finston Pickle Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +17
    Hi,

I know it's a long shot, but are there any electrically powered mowers which are stong enough to tackle a meadow periodically. I guess it would have to work on a 13 Amp 240 V supply. It would be some way from the house but with a 32 Amp supply to within 20 metres of the mower (the 20 metres would be the 13 Amp cable).

Thanks
    F. P.

2. Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +8,371
    I doubt it sounds more like a petrol machine job or get someone in to cut for you. If you are only cutting now again its more a pro lawnmower or a strimmer , I don't think a electric lawnmower would survive long doing such a task . They is some battery mowers that may have a go but very expensive and it will sap the battery fast.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Finston Pickle

Finston Pickle Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +17
      Thanks Perki, I think that you are right.

Has anyone any experience of this beastie? It looks as though it means business, but could make quite a mess if that puny clear screen was not effective:

Hyundai Heavy Duty Self Propelled Petrol Wheeled Grass Trimmer | HYFT60SP

I wonder if it could be fitted with metal blades (brushcutter?) for extra flexibility, possibly not.
      600ml of oil - surely not a two stroke engine?

£780 would pay for a lot of my gardener Ton's visits, so I guess a no go.

• Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +8,371
      No I haven't used anything like that its quite expensive for what it is. I use pro strimmers or larger machines for such task but strimmer's are easy enough to get hold of 2nd hand pro stihl / husqvarna can be had for £150 - 200 if you look around. It does say the Hyundai is 2 stroke .

How long is the grass when you get round to cutting it ?