1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Mud Bath For a Lawn

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Donna2105, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Donna2105

Donna2105 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have just moved into a new house and the Garden is like a mud bath. It looks like the turf was laid and left to die you can see the turf lines. Now to top it all off with the wet weather you just sink into the garden. I was going to re turf the garden but dont know what to do as it is so wet. I was thinking of digging up all the garden and starting from Scratch. How can I tell if I will need to add drainage or if it just that the soil is compacted? I had a couple of Gardeners round and they both said different things I dont want to spend money having drains put in if i can help it.
    Any suggestions or tips would be great.

2. cazza

cazza Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Donna,

I'm new to this too but have had heavy clay soil in all my gardens so far (seems like I'm drawn to them!)In my case the soil pools up with water when it ranis and doesn't drain away so maybe you could check this on soil that's exposed.In saying that if I had the chance to put drainage in from the start it would probably be the best option.

Cazza

3. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    This sounds a tad more serious than just compacted clay as we have not had a very wet winter so far - though maybe in your area may be different.

In a new house and garden on clay - you can find rubble and compacted clay - but what you seem to be describing is a far more boggy effect - especially if the turf has died.

A little more detail could be helpful - if its just compaction, it can be sorted, by good soil preperation before returfing - rotavating and then adding of organic matter, or gravel before levelling and returfing, to increase the drainage - but if its due to a more serious problem, that will not be enough and you will need to install proper drainage systems. Have you got any locals (not in the new houses) that can tell you about the land.

4. Donna2105

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies

Fran you are right about the boggy effect that is spot on.
    It has been raining quite a lot in Lancashire over the past couple of days. I looked out of my window this moring and I think I should open it up as the Lancashire mud bath. There are puddles everywhere the water is just sitting on top. The other gardens around mine seem to be ok. I have noticed however that my garden sits lower than the two neighbouring gardens. I am new to all this so I dont know how to tell if the soil is just compacted or if the problem is bigger. Is there a way I can tell if it is just compaction?
    I have also read something about a high water table
    The land as I understand it was an industrial site before hand.
    My house was the last on the street to be built so I thought the ground would have had a hammering for months and when they laid the garden they probably threw it together to get off site.
    Any help would be great

5. James Smith

James Smith Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi This sounds like the same problem i have. And i have put land drains in, but to no avail. I recently read in a gardening section of a newspaper that there is a bush you can purchase which will thrive in these conditions and reduce the amount of residue water being left after rain. unfortunately my wife dumps most things and this cutting was one of them. maybe some gardener may have the answer.

6. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I have bought a gunnera for a boggy part of my garden...but they do need a BIG space

7. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Donna

Do you have access to your surveyor's report? - that might shed some light on the root cause. Being on low ground on a high water table wouldn't help, but it may affect your neighbours - Have you asked them if they've experienced similar problems?
    Try this for info
    http://www.rodsgarden.50megs.com/improvingsoil.htm
    Try this one for plants that like it wet!
    http://www.hort.purdue.edu/hort/ext/Pubs/HO/HO_227.pdf
    There is some info in gardeners corner on drainage but can't remember where!

Good luck - P'raps we should swap some of our soils - mine is dry sand! ;)

8. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Sounds like your getting the water from your neighbours higher gardens if your lower - and with a high water table if that is the case. Twould be worth checking out the ordanance survey maps to take a look at where you sit in relation to the high ground in the surrounding area. I haven't ever had to install underground drainage - so am not competant to comment on that aspect - but before even considering that I would follow Bayleaf's advise and get a reputable surveyor to take a look and identify if you have a problem you can address

9. Donna2105

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you all very much for the advise.
    I know where to come with my Gardening problems from now on.

Donna