Mulching Q - super gross decomposing weeds in a waste bag...

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Shyamalie Satkunanandan, May 3, 2020.

1. Shyamalie Satkunanandan

Shyamalie Satkunanandan Gardener

Ratings:
    +28
    Hi all,

I'm going to lay down cardboard and other mulch layers over raised perimeter beds for a year to kill/surpress a wide range of massive weeds including bramble. I'm planning on following this: Permaculture magazine.

I have a massive bin bag of three-week old garden waste - mostly these large weeds and their roots as well as lawn clippings. This has started decomposing into slime and black ooze. Ugh. I don't have garden waste collection and the recycling centres are closed. (I've been leaving out my other garden waste to dry out.)

I was hoping to spread out this waste over a very large area of perimeter beds UNDER the cardboard layer. Considering it's under the cardboard, and it will be layed down for nearly a year - I'm hoping it will work well.

Can anyone think of a reason why this is a bad idea???

Thanks,
    Shy

(I do have a separate bag of dry dead old leaves, and another bag of just lawn clippings. So I'm not in want of organic matter - I just want to get rid of the disgusting decomposing waste.)

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +45,635
    You won't suppress brambles with cardboard and mulch, if anything they will probably grow faster. You need to dig out the roots of any big weeds first.

3. Shyamalie Satkunanandan

Shyamalie Satkunanandan Gardener

Ratings:
    +28
    Sorry John, should have said - I've already dug them all out 1-2 weeks after using SBK Brushwood Killer.

I was hoping the cardboard would hinder/prevent any regrowth of survivors and the odd one I missed spraying with SBK.

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  4. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +45,635
    That's good you got the roots out. In that case I think your plan will work providing the stuff you are spreading is properly dead.

• Like Like x 1