1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Multiple plants dying?

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Slouise, May 24, 2020.

1. Slouise

Slouise Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    45C08884-8CA6-4DF7-AB39-CE24F004E131.jpeg I planted a rockery about 4 weeks ago and loads of the plants look really unhealthy now and I just don’t understand! Everything seems to be dying. I’ve used soil improver when planting and planted in compost after soaking the root ball. I try to leave soil damp and have been really careful not to overwater.
    Pictures -
    Festuca brown
    Conifer brown edges
    Evergreen azeala flowers drooping
    Several heathers that are crispy and dry
    Phormium brown edges
    rose has black leaves

I also have a buxus (no pictures) that are getting brown leaves, wilting and generally looking sad.

Ive been trying for months now and it’s just getting worse!
    Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +8,488
    Hi Slousie . How often are you watering ? and how much full or 1/2 watering can or a bit / splash? Some of them look ok to me , the festuca need a rake with your hands wear gloves - phorhmium looks like a bit of rust - can see the marks on the little conifer - heather are starting to stop flowering the old flowers do go brown ish . The azalea is worrying

Can you go through the exact steps when you were planting them ? When you dug the hole did you fill it with compost them plant the plant directly into the compost ?

And what is your soil like clay like - loam ( like top soil ) - sandy , does it drain well etc.

Are you in a dry part of the country ? you don't need to say exactly where northwest etc will do

• Like Like x 1
    • Slouise

Ratings:
      +0
      Hi, thanks for your reply. Not much watering as I killed a lot of plants off a few months ago from overwatering I think. I have a 5 litre watering can I use on 4-5 plants a time. Do this every 4-5 days.
      When planting I soak the root ball for 10 minutes. Dig the hole and put in compost. Then put root ball in and fill in hole with compost and pat down with soil from hole. I water it a lot and then leave.
      Soil is a well drained bed but very clay and dry and sandy on top (is sub soil). In South Yorkshire, has been very dry these past couple of weeks.

• Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +8,488
      Hmm its difficult to diagnose problems but I think its to do with planting / soil conditions . Tomorrow when you get chance gently lift one of the plants out and inspect the root ball , is it dry or soaking wet . I suspect you may of unintentionally made a sump the water filling the hole up and not draining away the plant is essentially sitting in water. It could be the opposite and your not watering enough bit I can't see any signs of wilt, you'll know when you have a look . When inspecting the root ball are the root all wrapped around in a circle ( pot bound ) they will need freeing up , if you are unsure stick a picture on here and someone will help.

When planting it best to dig in the compost first and then plant for two reasons 1. you can create a sump I did this years ago when I first started 2. The plant doesn't tend to grow out of the root zone cause it in a nice rich environment it doesn't need to spread its roots looking for nutrients.

• Like Like x 1
      • Slouise

Ratings:
        +0
        Brilliant, thank you. I will have a look today and report back

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
        Ratings:
        +21,244
        With rockery plants I often remove all the compost from the roots; especially if it is an multipurpose type as these can be difficult to rewet once dry. I then ease the roots into the hole or between the rocks and fill with a mix of about 50% garden soil, 25% grit and 25% potting compost then watering thoroughly topping up if necessary with soil mix. Then watering during dry spells for that year.

• Like Like x 2
        • Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +2,985
          I do that as well, except for Daphnes which would immediately die. The compost used by nurseries is designed to make the alpines grow very quickly to selling and flowering size, but it is not good for them in the long run. They are far better planted bare root into the sort of mix Nigel says and then watered in.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +85,611
          I'm not sure anything is actually dying, looks like a couple have finished flowering and the rest are just acclimatisation problems.
          Plants a little bit tender and the odd burnt leaf.

• Grant_87

Grant_87 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
          +0
          Hi All,

Complete newbie here!

We bought some 'busy lizzies' the other day, they went from being really well bloomed to the leaves all being wilted and flower heads dying (in the space of a couple of days!).

I was leaving them to get sun but recently moved to the shade, how often should I be watering them and are they ok to be in direct sunlight?