1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

murder at lunchtime!!

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by wildflower, Jun 20, 2006.

1. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    we were having our lunch about an hour ago when down swooped this bird and killed one of the baby birds that live in our roof!!sorry the picture isnt brilliant as i grabbed the camera fast and forgot to zoom in..and its taken through a window...we both decided we didnt want anymore lunch!! and someone has to remove the remains..and it wont be me!!nature can be horridble when something like this happens..

[​IMG]

2. Poppy33

Poppy33 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Poor thing, you and the unfortunate baby bird. you were very quick with the camera..can't quite make out the bird, it looks like a young sparrow hawk. nature can be cruel, but I expect he just wanted his lunch too, It must have been a shock to see so close at hand :eek:

3. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Well done for getting that shot! A week or so ago, I came out of our front door just as a hawk swooped down on a blackbird which it carried off. They have to eat too!

4. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    my husband thought it was a young kestrel..i thought it was a sparrow hawk as it had the beady eyes..i hate it when you go in the garden sometimes and their is a heap of feathers on the grass..the sad part about today was after this had happend two baby birds came and sat on the fence and were looking around i was having morbid thoughts that they were looking for their sibling.. :eek:

5. Beefy

Beefy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    On Saturday around dinnertime as I was coming up the M6 around Penrith/Carlisle area I saw a hawk with a Magpie in its claws and two other magpies attacking the hawk. It must have only happened a few seconds before I saw it.

6. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Looks like a young sparrow hawk. I have one that calls in for lunch (and to feed his/her young) from the birds round my feeders. They have young to feed too - unfortunately fledglings are a part of that diet. They will take pidgeons and doves too as well as smaller birds.

Nice thing about hawks is that unlike cats, they only usually leave a few feathers unless disturbed. Magical birds, - though must have been a shock - well done getting the camera out so fast - the only picture I have is one at a distance on my lawn.

7. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +213
    yey we have a sparrow hawk visitor, it is very exciting when he pays a visit. I think they like dense foliage to catch birdies unawares. The only time I got a rather blurred photo was some time ago. Not a nice thing to see but can't fight nature.

[​IMG]

8. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,489
    looks like a female Sparrow hawk, had one in the nursery last year dining on a starling :(

9. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Here's my visitor - too far really - but one of these days I'll get a good shot.

[​IMG]

10. fmay

fmay Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    'A good shot' - I thought for a minute you meant with a gun!

11. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    No way :D I feed the birds, and they feed him. I do like raptors - especially in flight.