1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Mushy grass in back garden help

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by s1m0nw, Aug 24, 2019.

1. s1m0nw

s1m0nw Apprentice Gardener

Gas Service Engineer
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hey guys.

Looking for a few suggestions,

Estate I stay in has been built ontop of where oil refinery used to be, hence the estate has issues with drainage of the soil, due to my guess would be a massive clay bed underneath soil.

Basically the soil is very soft water doesnt sit ontop so there is a form of drainage but doesnt seem very good. Neighbours have tried digging their own gardens and putting on trenches filled with stones and they jave told me this still hasnt helped.

I stay in Clydebank which is not to far from Glasgow in Scotland can be a very wet country lol.

If there anything I can do to improve this? I am thinking fertiliser that has a high water retention alongside a grass seed of a high water retantion so that it will used the excess water in the soil

Thanks

• Like Like x 1
      Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
      Ratings:
      +30,610
      Welcome to the forum! Best advice is to add your location to your profile and hopefully add a few pictures so members can look at the grade , layout etc and then be able to offer great advice.:)

Lots of good and knowledgeable folks here will chime in tonight or tomorrow :)

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
        Ratings:
        +6,097
        A very warm welcome to the forum
        s1m0nw
        Basically any area of land that has been used as an industrial site of whatever catagory, must, has to be cleansed and as far as possible detoxed,decontaminated. Then thoughts and plans can be implemented for human habitation. This also includes, such forner sites but are not for the time being designated as homes, residential areas. Shops, superstores etc can be built.

I live in Eltham. SE London. Within a short bus ride, I can be in/on the Greewich peninsular. This is now much thriving area. Vast out of town shopping, the O2 etc etc.

Previously the peninsular was home to the gas works/national coal board etc. The soil/ground was that bad. If you dropped your sandwich. It stayed there. Probably milions of soil was removed and replaced by what. soil from other areas.History unknown.

Further along the river Thames shoreline is Thamesmead. This vast, yes very vast area was marshland. Years were spent draining the marshes. A totally new town/area sprang up. It wasn't long before folk were becoming ill, pets were suddenly fall ill even to the point of death. Sadly this is life as we know it.

You and your garden. Brows and choose well what you want to grow and io the best of your ability, provide compost and feed as required.

• Like Like x 1
        • s1m0nw

Gas Service Engineer
          Ratings:
          +1
          Thanks for replies so far. Will update original post later with pictures and profile.

• s1m0nw

Gas Service Engineer
          Ratings:
          +1
          Does anyone have any tips on how I could improve drainage?