1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

My clematis flowers have dyed

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by simmel, May 21, 2010.

1. simmel

simmel Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I didnâ??t know where to put this thread so itâ??s here. About a month ago I bought a clematis plant (I donâ??t know the name I threw the label away), from a garden center, it was in a container and quite well established with lots of little white flowers. After asking if this could be put into a large pot and put outside they said yes, so thatâ??s what I did, but guess what one week later the temperature dropped by about 10 degrees Celsius and has not risen above 7 or 8 since, consequently all the blooms have dropped off and all I am left with is lots of little stalks and green leaves. I donâ??t know much about the Clematis except what I have read, so I would like some advice please do I cut the stalks off or just leave it to sort itself out and see what happens when the weather gets better (they say after tomorrow.
    [​IMG]

2. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,729
    I'm not an expert on clematis (hopefully they'll be one along shortly) but to judge from the leaves this looks like an evergreen form, which blooms from winter to early spring. So, if I'm right, your plant would be at the end of its flowering season anyway, without the shock it got to its system. I would give it a trim, get rid of the remains of the flowers and make sure it's fed and watered and you should get a good display next year. The ferny leaves are pretty all year.