1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

My First Potato Harvest

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Jungle Jane, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Jungle Jane

Jungle Jane Middle Class Twit Of The Year 2005

Local Nutcase
    Ratings:
    +3,225
    Planted some Charlotte New potatoes on my birthday back in March, everything seemed to be going ok and then I came to harvest one of the plants yesterday. First of all I wasn't expecting them to come out this big, I'm used to the little ones you buy in the supermarkets. I'm assuming they must have grown too well or that this is their actual size?

[​IMG]

Anyway one of them I pulled out was covered in little bumps, which looked like warts and bumps to me. Is this something I should worry about?

[​IMG]

I cooked some last night and they were yummy but the skins had fallen off. How can I stop this from happening again?

• Like Like x 4
    • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,595
      The skins fall off during cooking largely because when they are so fresh out of the ground, there is very little skin to speak of. Just a very thin, delicate layer.

The skin stays on shop ones because they've been out of the ground for a while and the skins thickens up when exposed to the air.

After a day or two of being out of the ground, yours will be the same.

I tend not to boil new potatoes straight from the ground. I either bake them (if they are a bit larger) or shallow fry them if they are tiny. That traps all the flavour in and keeps the skin.

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      That's the size they are meant to be, wouldn't worry about the warty one, if it puts you off just cut the bits off, won't hurt you.

If you're going to store them you leave them in the ground for a few weeks after the haulms have died back, that thickens the skin too.

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,041
      We use a brush to remove the skins on new spuds before boiling.

Did they flower JJ? Usually that's a sign that they are ready to dig up, and they tend to be a bit smaller.

• Jungle Jane

Local Nutcase
      Ratings:
      +3,225
      Makes perfect sense now. I don't mind eating the warty one I was just concerned it might have been something in the soil, like scab.

I have another 8 plants in the ground and the haulms are starting to die back, but don't know how quickly I will be able to eat all of these as I wasn't expecting them to be so large. How long will they keep in the ground for before they start regrowing, if at all?

I didn't know you could bake new potatoes. I reckon I might make a few potato wedges out of them but I didn't know I could make a baked potato from them for some reason.

Do all new potatoes turn out this big? I was hoping from some little ones. Are there any varieties that will guarantee this or should I just try growing first earlies instead?

• clueless1

Ratings:
      +19,595
      Oh, see the tiny marble sized ones? Some people chuck them for some reason, figuring they're not worth the effort of cooking. I think they are the best ones in terms of flavour. For me, they go in a wok with some olive oil, garlic and rosemary, and some chopped up onions, chicken or mushrooms (or both), some broad beans if you have some, and some tomato puree. Delicious.

• Like Like x 1
      • Jungle Jane

Local Nutcase
        Ratings:
        +3,225
        Yep all the plants have flowered and something is eating all the haulms very quickly.

Also can I compost the taproots of the plant that the tubers are attached to? I assumed that tap roots are bad in composting but as the tuber is the food store of the potato plant I thought I would double check.

• clueless1

Ratings:
        +19,595
        I do them in the microwave. For 'old' tatties the oven is of course best, but for newies, the microwave is better because it keeps the skins soft and the inside moist. Drizzle olive oil and chopped rosemary over them before nuking them for 6 minutes on full power, turn them, give them 5 minutes, then check if they are soft and possibly give them another 5 minutes if they are not fully soft. When you turn them, make sure the olive oil coats them completely. The effect is that the skins are effectively fried in olive oil and garlic while the insides are as soft and moist as if they were boiled.

• JWK

Ratings:
        +46,041
        If the haulms are turning yellow it's either a sign that they are running out of feed or water, did the soil seem very dry when you dug them up?

It's OK to chuck everything in your compost.

• Like Like x 1
        • Jungle Jane

Local Nutcase
          Ratings:
          +3,225
          Sounds interesting, may give this a try tonight.

How long will new potatoes keep for once they're dug out of the ground?

They're not really turning yellow, just the plants seem to be flopping over and something is eating them, with the leaves being all holey. Assuming it's slugs or caterpillars.

• JWK

Ratings:
          +46,041
          Slugs usually go for the tubers in the ground rather than the haulms and the give away is slimy trails so that is probably your culprit. Could be caterpillars although they don't normally go for spuds, can you see any underneath the leaves? I've had real problems with pigeons on a lot of things this year, picking off the leaves of some veg and flowers, although not my spuds.

There is one alien creature that makes holes in potato leaves, colorado beetle - it's extremely unlikely you have that and I don't want to alarm you but just in case it might be worth having a look for them :dbgrtmb:

• JWK

Ratings:
          +46,041
          Try and eat them within a day or two for best taste. They will keep for a week or so in a cool dark place (not the fridge that's too cold).

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          Could be one of these eating them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death's-head_Hawkmoth

They come over here in hot weather, catterpillars are the size of a small tube of toothpaste.

Best get the water on the boil before digging any more up Jane, straight from ground to saucepan (with a quick wash) is best with New Potatoes :)

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,667
          I reckon the little ones you get in the shops are graded - and the big ones they harvested went for chips or crisps.

On the Spud plant you will see tiny spud-lettes; if you delay harvesting a week they will be big ones, and more little ones will have formed (so to speak ... obviously the plant calls it quits at some point). So not fesible to get just small ones. My wife asks for them every year ...

I would leave them in the ground until you want to eat them - unless the slugs start eating the tubers. Once disconnected from the parent plant the sugars will start turning to starch, so best not to harvest them for more than a day or two before eating..

• Triffid

Triffid Gardener

Ratings:
          +42
          My 1st earlies are tiny - so I'm gonna let em get bigger - dug some up though and the tidgy ones were really tasty - almost sweet.