1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

My first steps into the world of a self-employed gardener

Discussion in 'Members Blogs/Websites' started by _Tina_, Nov 20, 2012.

1. _Tina_

_Tina_ Apprentice Gardener

Gardener
    Ratings:
    +21
    Today I had my very first appointment to see a lady about tending her garden. Well that was what I thought, until I checked my phone and found a voicemail from last night from another lady wanting my services too. So as I was going in the same general direction I ended up doing two appointments in one morning. Not bad for a beginner!

The first lady has what I would say is an average sized back garden with borders around the edge surrounding two lawns. Basically she wants it tidying up for winter which I said would roughly be give or take about at least a day’s work but could go either way. I also said that I could come back in early spring and prune all over her shrubs. She then would like me to come on a fortnightly basis to keep it maintained. I get the feeling she doesn’t mind how long it takes and what it will cost, she just wants it tidy. So no pressure there.

I then went on to view the next garden. This was a whole different kettle of fish. An extra large garden is how I would describe this with lawns, vegetable patch, topiary, fruit trees, shrubs of every description and a good many borders. They love their garden but they don’t necessarily love gardening and are keen for me to start immediately. At present this will be once a week for 6 hours and we will basically go from there. I have a lot to do and am looking forward to it! Leaves to be picked up, borders to be weeded and tidied. Perennials cut down and even some being removed, shrubs trimmed over and even some problem solving.

Luckily for me this lady knows what the majority of her plants are and so if I am unsure she will be happy to tell me what a plant is if I don’t know it.
    I am already enjoying this and I haven’t even started work yet. I like it as I am getting to use my brain for the first time in what feels quite a while, learning new plants, what I should do with them and solving what is wrong with them.

The last good thing is they have both asked for more business cards because they both know several people who want my services. I have also been told to expect more phone calls from people…. getting the feeling I am going to be far more busy than I thought! Let’s hope so!!

• Like Like x 7
    • _Tina_

Gardener
      Ratings:
      +21
      I hope this isn't seen as commercial. Just sharing my experiences not after anything lol

• Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
      Ratings:
      +31,183
      Tina,
      I have enjoyed reading this first day so very much. How exciting ! Clients already and more to follow! Real work and real money. And you are the boss and the team all rolled into one. I feel that much lies before you and we would love to hear from you when you can find time to tell us how it's all shaping up. Lots of lovely people here to offer helpful advice if and when you need it,
      Wishing you all the luck and inspiration in the world.
      Jenny namaste

• Like Like x 2
      • Grannie Annie

Grannie Annie Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,631
        Well done Tina looks as if you've cracked it. You must be feeling very pleased with yourself. :dancy: Sounds as if you will have plenty of :autlvs: to do - it's Lolimacs favourite job! Ha Ha!

• Like Like x 1
        • _Tina_

Gardener
          Ratings:
          +21
          I've got quite alot of leaves to rake up on Friday, luckily they want it for leaf mould so I just bag it all up. Still trying to calm down. I get really nervous lol

• Like Like x 1
          • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            I'm watching you:th scifD36:

;):biggrin:

Thats a great start Tina:dbgrtmb:

One thing that occured to me is that if you have to take away stuff like prunings & leaves, that could be viewed as trade waste, so you won't be allowed to take it down the tip and you might possibly need a waste carriers licence.

Might be worth having a google on that one.

I got round it by adding a few paragraphs to my contracts, read something like,

Ziggy is not a licenced waste carrier & therefore cannot undertake to remove any materials from site. However, I would be happy to arrange a skip on your behalf, price subject to agreement at the time it is required.

• Like Like x 1
            • _Tina_

Gardener
              Ratings:
              +21
              I'll behave honest :love30:

So far I have been lucky and both ladies are happy to compost or green bin the waste. I think its the thought of additional charges which helps them decide that one. But you are right I'll need to find out more about that.

• "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +31,885
              Tina!!!! That is FUNtastic news!!!!! :hapydancsmil: :hapydancsmil: :hapydancsmil:

I've been thinking of you all day and hoping that it would be a good day for you (and your adrenaline ;) ).

Now, as a side line ... those "prunings"? Make them into "cuttings" and you will always get sales at Boot Fairs in the Spring; you need to think laterally now you know ;)

So happy that your first day went so well; and with so much promise for the future too :ccheers:

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
              +12,667
              If you have room at home I would compost anything Clients don't want - can never have enough! and you could take/sell it back to Clients if you have too much.

Glad to hear its going well, not surprised though, couple of folk I know around here have had similar experiences.

• pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
              "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
              Ratings:
              +4,445
              How amazing :wow: ,we get to see the next Carol Kline,Rachel De Thame in the making :spinning: ,we will all be watching and more than willing to help with tips and suggestions,:ideaIPB: 1st good tip was mums if you can root the cuttings you could have an endless supply of perennials,keep some carriers handy and pad and pencil ,as you prune throw the likely ones into the bag with a scrap of paper with name on.:ideaIPB: 2nd good tip was Kristens, if you can store any waste material ,next years compost,:autlvs: :dbgrtmb: Well Done

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
              +19,596
              At this rate you'll be needing to recruit an extra pair of hands in no time. Doesn't need to be someone as knowledgeable, just a clueless one would do.

Seriously though, good luck in your venture, sounds like its already happening for you

• Like Like x 1
              • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
                +12,667
                :heehee:

• Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
                +0
                My little eyes lit up GA at the mention of the :autlvs: it's a shame you are so far away Tina i'd have given you a hand....:dbgrtmb:
                Nice one Tina and good luck to you:dbgrtmb:

• _Tina_

Gardener
                Ratings:
                +21
                I only quit my old job last week lol Great idea Mum! One of the ladies has a ton of hardy geranium she wants getting rid of, wonder if anyone would buy those? Just the standard pink one that grows like the clappers.

I need to figure out how to do cuttings now lol Could make a mint at the boot sales if I could do it as we've two in this area.

• _Tina_

Gardener
                Ratings:
                +21
                I thought Grannie Annie was joking but now I see that she wasn't Lolimac. There is something nice about raking up leaves.