My garden timeline thread

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Sandy Ground, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
    Ratings:
    +5,368
    004 (2).JPG 003 (3).JPG 002 (27).JPG 003 (27).JPGView attachment 498 003 (27).JPG 004 (2).JPG 003 (3).JPG 002 (27).JPG 003 (27).JPG 004 (2).JPG 003 (3).JPG 003 (3).JPG 002 (27).JPG 003 (27).JPG The start of the garden redesign was caused by events in early 2006. At that time, geothermic heating was installed. This meant digging up a large portion of the lawn, including four 50 years old apple trees. The area was left to settle, and when it did, levelled with compost and grass planted. By 2008, everything was deemed ok, and a plan hatched...

At the end of August that year, four beds were cut and their preparation started. Inspiration came from the Cottage Garden at Sissinghurst Castle after a visit there. At this time, it was planned to use similar plants. The local climate excluded quite a few of these, so the decision to use roses was made. These were bought and planted early 2010. These beds were partially enclosed by hedges of thuja occidentalis 'brabant.'
    [​IMG]

Early the following year, a small amount of paving that would eventually become the barbeque area was laid. At this time, its main use was as a datum plane that was used to help prepare the foundations of what later became known as the Tea Shed. This name came about after a visit to "Planten un Blomen" in Hamburg. They have a japanese garden there that has a Tea House. I thought this to be a bit pompous, and anyway, every true english garden is not complete without at least one shed! This structure, with the exception of the glass doors, was scratch built. It was finally completed just before Midsummer 2010. Quite timely, as they were being hosted here!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The previously laid paving was then completed with a short path to the area the barbeque would actually stand. At this time, there was a 40 metre long hedge of Siberian Pea behind this area.

[​IMG]

I'll leave it here for the time being and continue later. Just in case I have made any mistakes that need rectifying.

• Like Like x 12
      Last edited: Feb 15, 2022
    • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +31,885
      Great thread idea :thumbsup:

Were you from the South East in Blighty SG? I visited Sissinghurst the other year and it really is inspirational.

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Sandy Ground

Making things of note.
        Ratings:
        +5,368
        When I visited Sissinghurst, I was staying with friends in the Garden of England...:) I'm a Lancastrian...

• Like Like x 1
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +31,885
          Don't worry, we won't hold that against you :pathd: :heehee: :whistle:

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Funny Funny x 1
          • Sandy Ground

Making things of note.
            Ratings:
            +5,368
            :snork::snork::snork:

• Like Like x 2
            • Sandy Ground

Making things of note.
              Ratings:
              +5,368
              012 (7).JPG 002 (61).JPG 034 (2).JPG 044.JPG 012 (7).JPG 002 (61).JPG 034 (2).JPG 044.JPG To continue...

During 2011, which was their first full season, the roses gave a reasonable display...

[​IMG]

Two smaller borders were planted in what was a kind of link between the front garden and the rose garden. All of the plants were "rescued" from other parts of the garden. One border has sidalcea edged with heuchera, the other pink flox edged with lavender.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
              • Sandy Ground

Making things of note.
                Ratings:
                +5,368
                009 (19).JPG 012 (14).JPG 001 (74).JPG 001 (62).JPG The following season, 2012, things continued. Not being very happy with the gap in the thuja hedge that can be seen in a previous photo, in early Spring, it was filled in with more of the same.

[​IMG]

The Winter of 2011-12 had been particularly harsh and the low temperatures had killed off some of the firethorns along the back wall. Filling in the gap also highlighted how ugly the adjacent path was.

[​IMG]

To remedy this, the firethorns were taken up, and the path narrowed somewhat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
                • CharlieBot

CharlieBot Super Gardener

Ratings:
                  +2,523
                  I'm looking forward to some more recent pics. Looks like a nice, good sized garden you have there.

• Like Like x 1
                  • Sandy Ground

Making things of note.
                    Ratings:
                    +5,368
                    Dont worry, the more recent pics will come.

If there are any in particular that anyone wants to see, just ask and I will post when the timeline gets there.

• Like Like x 1
                    • Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • Dips

Dips Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +3,631
                      I would love to see how the roses are doing they look lovely :-)

• Like Like x 1
                      • Agree Agree x 1
                      • Sandy Ground

Making things of note.
                        Ratings:
                        +5,368
                        I'll do that photo as soon as I can. It will only be in a couple of weeks, as the buds are only just beginning to show.

• Like Like x 1
                        • Friendly Friendly x 1
                        • Sandy Ground

Making things of note.
                          Ratings:
                          +5,368
                          006 (24).JPG 020 (5).JPG 019 (5).JPG 001 (59).JPG 001 (60).JPG 012 (9).JPG 011 (11).JPG IMG_3120.JPG IMG_2906.JPG 004 (44).JPG Moving on...

2013 proved to be a year of major changes to the garden. It started in late Winter with the removal of a number of conifers. These included pines, spruce and fir. Eleven in total.

[​IMG]

What must be the worlds bravest pigeon had a nest in one of them, spurring it into making a sit down - or was it stand up - protest...
                          [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The roots of the conifers were ground out using a hired machine, and the ground turned over. Notice the protective clothing. These things throw chippings everywhere!
                          [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A couple of weeks later, the previously mentioned Siberian Pea hedge was taken up. As the roots of these are horrendous, the same machine used previously was again used to remove them. At the same time, the damaged thuja in the previous photo were also removed. By now, Spring had arrived, which enabled more thuja to be planted. The majority replaced the Siberian Pea, as well as some of the damaged ones that had been removed.

[​IMG]

When planting it, I realised that I had missed a rather large root from one of the conifers. As this was too large to dig out, the hedge took a detour. This solution proved to be a good idea, as not only did it balance the hedge, it gave an extra border in which I could plant strawberries! They are an old variety called "Zenga Zengana" and I did not want to lose them!

[​IMG]

Planting inspiration along the path that was narrowed the previous year came from two sources. The first was from a swedish garden called "Norrvikens Gardens" and the other from a photo I found on internet. The layout in the photo was used, together with part of the planting scheme from the place in Sweden. As all of the plants were Hydrangea "twist'n'shout" this became known as the Hydrangea Walk. If Sissinghurst can have a Lime Walk, then I can have a Hydrangea one!

[​IMG]

Four trees were also planted in this year. Two Sergeant Cherries as sentinels near the Tea Shed, as well as two Rowan trees on either side of where the Barbeque used to be. Three Winged Spindle were also moved to a new location. Their second and hopefully final move.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's worth adding here that in Swedish culture, there are three important trees. Rowans, Elders, and Yew. This trilogy are said, amongst other things, to ward off evil spirits, give long life, and together are regarded as a potent force. An example of each of can be found somewhere in the garden.

• Like Like x 8
                          • Sandy Ground

Making things of note.
                            Ratings:
                            +5,368
                            With the bare bones of the garden now being more or less completed, 2014 was a year of making additions. Two areas were planted. First, was what was to become the fruit garden. What started out like this...

009 (20).JPG

...ended up looking like this...

IMG_2897.JPG

The fruits are, starting at the far side. Blackcurrants. Gooseberries (with a Cherry in the middle) then Redcurrants, and finally Chokeberries.

Next came the addition of the Peony garden...

IMG_2899.JPG

It was also a big year for gardening woodwork projects. I have some other photos of these. If anyone wants to see them, I can start a separate thread, or post them here. The first one was to make this as a replacement for the Adirondacks that can be seen in some of the other photos...

IMG_2986.JPG

Next project along was to replace the old compost heap surround with this...

DSCN1729.JPG

DSCN1715.JPG

This part of the garden is the only one that is not flat, which explains the reason for the small raised bed that is attached. The bush at the rear of the raised bed portion is a Wolfberry.

The final woodworking project of the year was what started out as being a Lych Gate. this was by far the biggest project of the three, at least as regards joints. Something like 200 mortices were cut in the wood during its making. I even made the metalwork, which can be seen in the third photo that follows, by hand. The design is based on a traditional one from the area around Luneburg in Northern Germany.

IMG_3162.JPG

IMG_3161.JPG

IMG_3163.JPG

• Like Like x 8
                            • Anzia

Anzia Gardener

Ratings:
                              +516
                              Very impressive. Your woodwork is incredible!

• Agree Agree x 5
                              • Sandy Ground

Making things of note.
                                Ratings:
                                +5,368
                                Thanks Anzia.

My skills with wood are down to the woodworking teacher that I had way back when I went to school. As none of the lads dared to get on his wrong side (he was an ex WW2 Commando and rugby player at international level) we tended to learn a lot!:snork:

• Funny Funny x 2
                                • Like Like x 1