1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

My lads

Discussion in 'Pets Corner' started by accidentalgardener, Aug 15, 2008.

1. accidentalgardener

accidentalgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    As a few of you know I do love me dogs so I thought I would introduce them to you:

Arnie having a breather:

[​IMG]

Zac having a look about:

[​IMG]

Tess

[​IMG]

Teddy, Teddy only has one eye and has a heart problem but he is so sweet :D
    [​IMG]

Arnie having yet another rest cos he's a lightweight :lol:

[​IMG]

Tess just spotted a squirrell
    [​IMG]

Arnie just looking goofy

[​IMG]

from front: Arnie, Teddy & Tess

[​IMG]

We were out tracking and Arnie tried to b incognito

[​IMG]

2. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Gorgeouse as Ever Paula.I didn,t realise you had 3 dogs..They'll be well Trained of course, And is Arnie still Gay? hahahaha :)

3. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +10,523
    Beautiful, Beautiful dogs. So sweet they look. I also love Rotties. They are so precious, have good souls. I am a large dog person, have always been. Had a wonderful Great Dane for 8 years. My two German's are up in heaven. Both had obedience titles, even had them whisper trained. One of them, was so good he would watch my eyes for signals, (had to be careful there). We always had fun together, long walks, catching, travel. They always did what I expected of them with such passion. Enjoy your guys, give them a hug for me. I loved hugging mine, miss that.

4. accidentalgardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Dee yep Arnie is still gay :D

and there are four and a fifth on the way: Wilson so its Arnie, Tess, Teddy, Zac and Wilson :D

Redstar you sound like your love of dogs is on a par with mine, I live with them and I work with em :D

5. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Ratings:
    +10,523
    Oh yes, Paula, I do love dogs. Dogs have the sweetest souls. All they want to be is your best friend. My boys have been gone now 3 years, I am dog less. But have cats now.
    Still not certain I am ready yet. I do get very committed when I own a dog. Its very important to interact/train with your dog so it becomes socially appropriate. So I have to really be ready for all of it again. Although I know they will bring me much joy. We are traveling more now, so that is unfair to a dog. At least with cats, I can get a neighbor, and I have things set up for the cats where we can be gone for a long time and they are ok.
    Both my boys died of Cancer before they reached 9 years old, (did not have them at the same time). It was over the span of 14 years we had two Alsatians. I was hoping for at least 12 years out of them. You know you train and work with them, then they get to this level of maturity which is about 5 years old, when everything seems to really gel.
    When I was growing up we had the farm Alsatian, he lived until 14 years old, and we never fussed over him, he got the routine shots, store bought food, he ran the farm, stayed outside in the winter in the barn. He was great with us kids, and watched over the small animals with kind protective love. So I gave my guys, better food, even more shots, heart worm, stayed inside and they could not make it to 9 years old. They will always be my best friends and my best joys.

6. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Hi All,

I won`t ever be able to get another dog, so I fully comprehend how difficult it is to take on another. It came as a total shock how badly Tessa`s death affected me.

I am much more a cat person, but I fell for her totally. She was such a good dog. And although I know all dogs do die I felt like I`d let her down. After all she`d been through I`d promised her I would make it like it never happened. Couldn`t stop her from dying at 8yrs old though. Poor girl. She had been through so much.

7. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,757
    Hi ACG Arnie,Tess,Teddy,Zac and Wilson are Lovely obviously very happy and very contented Wow!:thumb::)

8. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    I`m sorry, I was being rude earlier, Yes those dogs are extremely contented looking. Beautiful animals rottweilers-bit scared of them though. I know I shouldn`t be but thats the media for you.

Beautiful

9. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Ratings:
    +10,523
    That is why only certain personality humans should own certain breeds.
    A co-worker gets all his dogs from the county shelter, he said it is loaded with pit bulls now.
    And if you ever saw the TV show about 40 years ago--spanky and our gang--the dog with them (the children) was a pit pull.
    take care.

10. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Ratings:
    +10,523
    So Paula, you mentioned you work with your dogs, what do you do?

11. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Great pictues.

I love rotties only trouble with them like all big dogs is that the have sutch a short life expectancy.

12. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,255
    Lovely dogs, Paula :thumb: :) :)

13. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Look back a bit people, AG has been here a long time with her babies. I remember the first time I looked at Arnie wow!

Lovely babe as you know.

Love seeing the pics of all of your dogs, how are you going to cope with 2 more?

cheers

14. accidentalgardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks to you all for your kind comments, ii will answer them in turn :)

Thanks WOO, today i have been asked to consider taking in another one but 5 is enough i think :)

Lollipop i totally understand what you are saying, part of it is the media but part of it is irresponsibilty of the owners. They are heavy dogs and contrary to popular beleif they were not bred as guard dogs but to herd sheep and cattle. Arnie especially is very good with strangers, he is a PAT (Pets as Therapy) dog, going to clubs for the disabled :)

Redstar, I am a behaviorist :D

Pro Guard, yes they can live shorter lives but a lot of it is down to early care, Rotts can only have 5 mins exercise per month of life up until 16 months and only part of that off lead. Their joints are not set until 2-3 years old. Too much exercise leads to early onset arthritis. Also weight control plays a big part. All my dogs are heart/eye/hip scored and tested :)

Hi Shiney :D i am biased but yes they are a bt gorgeous :D

Well Borrowers its the more themerrier :) they have all helped me since the death of my husband not long ago and to be honest they keep me from getting fat :lol:

15. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Ratings:
    +10,523
    Thanks Paula, had a feeling one was a therapy dog. Great Dane puppies are similar with cautions to joint and leg development as they grow regarding exercise. Also Sheps should not be allowed to jump until several months old. I think with any big dog there are similar restrictions, "wise responsible" owners just have to know this.