1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

My lawns full of weeds.

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by alexmiles, Jun 24, 2010.

1. alexmiles

alexmiles Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    View attachment 2259

My lawn is in terrible shape. Its basically full of weeds and moss. I tried Tesco's own brand fertiliser moss and weed treatment and so far (3 weeks after) there are black patches in the lawn. No real sign of weeds being controlled. Apart from tearing up the entire lawn and replacing it can anyone recommend any product or process I can try. One of the weeds that appears to of taken over is this one featured in my attachment. I would really appreciate if anyone could identify it ?.

Many thanks in advance

2. housesecond

housesecond Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
  3. Tommy

Tommy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My lawn was full of weeds when I moved into the house last year. I didnt put anything on it, I just got on my hands and knees with a kitchen knife and dug them all out.

4. lorne greene

lorne greene Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Alex, the weed looks like creeping cinquefoil, it creeps through the lawn using stolons and produces new plants at the nodes much the same as strawberry plants.It normall starts producing 5 petal yellow flowers around now which last until the end of the growing season. Verdone extra should control it but you may need a second application 6 weeks after the first.

I would only use a lawn treatment company on recommendation from a satisfied customer and I'm sorry if you work for Greenthumb Housesecond but despite being the biggest they also have the worst reputation in the industry. Any company that encourages its staff to remove frozen snow from a lawn to put a treatment down and scarify in the middle of winter have a serious lack of knowledge in my opinion.

5. Harmony Arb

Harmony Arb Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
  6. Onei

Onei Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I had a similar problem with moss in the lawn of my previous house. Like you I used a weed killer. After a while the green moss was killed off only to leave dead black moss which covered quite large areas of the lawn. You could try to rake out the dead moss and maybe put down some grass seed?

7. sinbad

sinbad Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  8. alexmiles

alexmiles Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for everyone's help. I will take on board on information.

9. housesecond

housesecond Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I do indeed own and run a Greenthumb franchise but I can't believe anyone would do that. Trust me, I never would.
    Just like any trade I'm sure there's rouges out there and I don't think the guy's at head office would be happy with something like this going on.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • lorne greene

lorne greene Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      Good and bad in every industry and it may be that everyone likes to take a pop at Greenthumb because they are the biggest and this country as a whole ultimately hates success and always seem to shout for the underdog but I have seen the mid winter scarifying with my own eyes and the snow clearing story comes from a very reputable source in the Newbury area.

Another franchised lawn treatment company claims to only employ groundsman or greenkeepers, seems strange then that one of their biggest is run and operated by a sales manager.

Like I say in my original post ask around get a recommendation.

• daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +2,881
      Alex, if you`ve not had rain since treating the lawn then give it a good soaking. You need the weeds actively growing for the stuff to work.:gnthb: