1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

My mango tree is dying, is it too late??

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by Mel03, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Mel03

Mel03 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all,

I grew a mango tree from seed last year and its been doing really well.

Unfortunately it's been unsettled and I just don't know if I'll be able to rescue it now. I'll add a picture later for your opinions.

Essentially because of UK frosts I took him out of the greenhouse to live in the house over winter, but my husband couldn't bear the little black flies after a while he got banished to the greenhouse again, I moved him into an outhouse again by a window for a bit more warmth but he wasn't looking very good . I think he was coping but I was worried he was deteriorating. So I brought him back in, and I think this is where the trouble really has begun, we have the house really warm for winter and even with damp soil he looked to be drying up and struggling.

Ive moved him back to the outhouse by the window but he is looking so shrivelled and unhappy.

Is there any rescue remedy? Anything I an try? I'll get the pictures up ASAP but I'm worried he's already gone.

2. Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +9,233
    Without pictures, it’s really hard to say. But I’m currently nursing a mango through a second (I think) winter. In my case, the leaves get infected with meally-bug, the main indoor pest that we suffer from here - I had to give up on all of my orchids because of the little so-and-sos...

My plants is in a fairly warm room, about 20c, and directly under a dormer window. I keep the soil lightly moist and so water about twice a week. Because the plant is a little pot bound, I’m making sure that it does not dry out...

I think if the plant has any leaves remaining, and the stem is still green, then it has a chance.

I’ll show you mine, if you show me yours?!!:heehee:

3. Mel03

Ratings:
    +1

Thanks for replying!

Here's a picture. It's currently in the extension/outhouse which still gets very cold and not at a sunny window . I really don't know where to settle it. Also I think it finally lost its old seed /shell recently I don't know if that has any effect.

IMG_20210302_133035.jpg

4. Sian in Belgium

Ratings:
    +9,233
    Oh dear, the stem looks shrivelled, as well as the leaves....
    I think it’s safe to say that they need more than a frost-free area.

I’ll post a photo of my plant later, but I think it might be an idea to shuck your next mango-stone...

• Like Like x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,629
      Looks quite small for the size of the pot, so maybe watering twice a week was a bit much, if it started to go over before you moved it out.

I think sub tropical to mostly tropical about sums the plant up.
      So an outhouse in winter would not be warm enough.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,629
      Just looking back I think I confused two posts there regarding watering. :redface:

• Sian in Belgium

Ratings:
      +9,233
      Edited to remove the autocorrect errors:
      Here's a photo of my mango plant. It is at least 2 years old, maybe 3...
      IMG_20210303_144308.jpg
      It did look a little sad at the end of the first winter. It lost its leaves, but the stem still looked firm. I would bring yours into a warmer place than it is now, maybe no [children]?! colder than 15c overnight. Keep the soil on the dry side of moist, and hope. You have nothing to lose. However, should you eat a mango anytime soon...!

• Like Like x 1
        Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
      • Mel03

Ratings:
        +1
        Wow stunning!! What made you comment about children, should these not be around kids, or do you just mean they are delicate?

I honestly don't know if mine is dead? I'll maybe sneak it back in the house and see if the flies are an issue again .

• Sian in Belgium

Ratings:
        +9,233
        Hehehe!
        No, it was autocorrect getting carried away.... I typed “colder”, and autocorrect substituted “children”.

• Funny Funny x 1