1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

My new fruit tree might be dead

Discussion in 'Trees' started by clueless1, Mar 16, 2014.

1. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,595
    I bought a couple of plum trees yesterday, from a cheapo shop. One has lots healthy growth on it. The other has no green on it at all, but the bark was the right colour and texture, and I had a sneaky nick with my thumbnail to see if there was green sap just under the bark near the top, which there was, so I bought it.

When I unwrapped the roots, there wasn't much in the way of the finer feeder roots in there, but I went through the motions and planted it anyway.

If it's dead, I've lost a grand total of £5.99 and about 5 minutes work, so no great loss, but how long should I give it before I pull it back out and replace it with another one? I want to give it a fair chance, but at the same time, I don't want to miss the tree planting season, which we're right at the back end of already.

2. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,320
    How long has it been in the cheapo shop is the problem , with fruit trees you need them to be top notch to get them off to a good start and to have all the branches growing evenly.

Start with a bad tree and it will struggle for a few years, especially plums and getting silver leaf.

Take it back and get your ££ back this is the problem people keep buying them in such a sorry state they will keep stocking them and catch lots of people out who are ClueLess and then it puts them off in the future , in a £ shop I went into last week they still had daffodil bulbs for sale on the shelves.

Spruce

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1