1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

My next garden project

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by mgn, Dec 28, 2007.

1. mgn

mgn Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I used to post here before, then I moved house and so onto a new garden, (which I will be starting on in january/february with any luck)so i am back.

I'm a complete novice at gardening but with doing my last one i felt like I was really achieving something great and posting here really helped with motivating myself (unfortuantely my old thread seems to have gone :eh: )- unfortunately I never got it finshed (due in part to it's size, it was a bit too big) but this time round I have a tiny garden (around 20 x 20ft) which means I should be able to go for that bit extra expense and also actually get it finished!

It wont be a 'normal' garden, and will have height restrictions as I am going to have it all completely meshed off on top so will be just over 6ft hight

Pointers
    --- height restriction of 6ft so no trees
    --- as only a tiny garden need illusion to make it look bigger
    --- cat friendly (a pet cemetery area needed)
    --- low maintanace
    --- minimulist looking
    --- somewhere to sunbathe
    --- somewhere to sit

At the moment the garden is nearly a blank canvas. It's been neglected a long time. I need to get rid of cracked paving slabs and take down a wooden built area then it's basicaly putting up an internal 2nd fence and meshing the top off, then on with the fun bits. :dance:

(hi to tiggsandoscar if youre still around too!)

2. mgn

mgn Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    some pics from a couple of months ago, most of the rubbish is gone now, and I have painted most of the back house wall in a cream.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Plan-- wall, finish painting cream - the railings down the steps are painted white (need finishing off) and might cover them in rope -- wood thing removing -- under the window I might have that area decked and raised and have that for my patio set --- undecided on path covering - gravel and slabs I think

3. mgn

mgn Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    this is from the back door looking right
    [​IMG]
    not a very good pic i know, but it's basicly paving stones in the middle and then soil and weeds around it

This is looking left
    [​IMG]
    there is a path going up 3/4's of the garden and then soil around it - also have a cat buried there, so thinking of making that area into a little commemorative rockery.

so as you can see the garden couldnt be plainer and anything will be an improvement.
    I am eagre to start on it and will be updating with pics as i go along.

4. mgn

mgn Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    more pointers

--- want plants that stay the same all year round, for at least 3/4's of the 'plants' -- the 'look' is wood and black iron, browns and creams -- want some lawn --

5. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    [ 04. February 2008, 07:41 AM: Message edited by: Helofadigger ]

6. mgn

mgn Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi helen, and thanks for my welcome back, i've missed this place!

Firstly no they dont poop on anyones garden as they have been house cats for 3 months now, they are fed up though and yelling 'get on with the garden already!!!' And they wont be able to get out of the back garden once it's done (the mesh is to keep them in) - oh i daresay they'll use the garden AND their litter tray so i'll have to still buy cat litter!

The rails I was thinking i might cover them in rope so they willl be scratchposts (saying as it's mostly going to be their space)

I sat up last night designing what I might do and it's looking quite good - i'll try and draw it in paint --- mirrors along the back fence would be good peeping through the 'cat woods'... oh it's a nice day today, hope it keeps mild for some time yet.

7. mgn

mgn Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  8. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,878
    Welcome back Mgn great design good luck with your Project. [​IMG]

9. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Hi mgn,

is that right that you will 'fence' your garden off above to keep your cats in? it's just that i've never heard of this before.

happy new year if i don't speak to you before.

cheers

10. mgn

mgn Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi wiseowl, and thanks :)

hey borrowers, yep going to mesh right over the top so it'll be like a cage in effect! I had another garden meshed in years ago but not over the top just chicken wire facing inwards ontop of the wall which did the same thing (also keeps cats out) Just means I am not worrying where they are and keeps them safe.

i'm just hoping i wont get a chicken mesh tan :eek:

and happy new year to both of you :)

11. mgn

mgn Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    oops i forgot to add that the garden is going to (hopefully) just flow from the house - i did the house in browns and creams with wood and black iron, so by doing the garden the same colours then it should be just like another room --- well this is the idea anyway and my hope was to make the place seem bigger with it all being done the same.

12. mgn

mgn Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    can i delete this thread?

my old thread is still there and i want to just continue on that one as its my gardening history lol.

let this thread drop, onto my old one :)

13. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    [ 04. February 2008, 07:41 AM: Message edited by: Helofadigger ]