1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

My poor old May.....

Discussion in 'Livestock' started by Lolimac, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Well i think the end is nigh for my dear old chook.....Maysie hasn't been herself over the last couple of days....gradually getting slower and slower....i've done all the usuall checks....she's not egg bound....hasn't got peritonitis,no worms or lice just quietly coming to the end of her days....today she has shown no interest in food of water and have tried to prompt her but no joy.....she is the last of my first 'girls'....a 6 year old hybrid and has been laying every single day up untill around 6mths ago when she then became 'semi retired'.....
    It's so cold here so i wrapped her in a blanket and took her for a walk around the garden...her eyes are still bright but she showed little interest....she did 'purr' and quietly talk back to me bless her heart....she seems in no discomfort just weary...any sign of stress and i wouldn't hesitate to take her to the vets but as things stand i'll leave her be unless there is a change....I'm hoping she has a good night.....i never thought i'd get so attached but there you go....:cry3:

2. joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,385
    :cry3:poor maysie x hope your ok and shes still with you tomo xx

3. Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Joolz....just been to check her and she's all snuggled up....even her 'sisters' are snuggled up with her....none of them are on the perches...!!!!...something must be in the air because May has always been top chook and the rest of them just did as she 'said'...they daren't do any other...she's been a fiesty madam in her time:)

4. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,494
    Ahhhh, that's sad Loli. :sad: I think all animals know when their companions are ailing, which is why the others have probably snuggled up.

• Like Like x 1
    • joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,385
      A friend up the road as a farm and shes lost a few of her ducks just lately,she thinks they are swallowing things while foraging as they are ok one day then died the next,its sad to see her upset,they come down to the farmhouse area to kinda tell her they are poorly and die within a couple of hrs :cry3:she has names for all her hens aswell but i cant tell one from the other,she lives for them,no cattle or sheep etc just the chickens n ducks :) x i take a bag sticky bud up for them now n then :)

• Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      It's funny how they all have there own little quirky ways and you do get so attatched...i think birds of all kinds have a very delicate hold on life anyway as they are really quite fragile little things....I've lost many chickens over the years but they've all been ill so it's been a relief when they've had to go but it's just so sad to see May just fading away:cry3:i hope your friend finds out what is causing the problem with her ducks....losing one is bad enough:sad:

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Oh Dear, just seen this one. Never good to loose a Chicken. Still missing my last one.

• Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
      Ratings:
      +31,167
      Loli,thinking of you and Maysie too . :imphrt:
      My husband's dad was a no nosense sort that did not express emotion over trivia but, he gently held his wife's little budgie on its last day and said "I only hope I can accept the end with the dignity our animals seem to have". He was glassey eyed ....
      Maysie has had a superb life compared with that of most commercial chooks and she will purr in heaven for you Loli,
      Jenny

• Like Like x 1
      • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Thank you all for your kind words....my May fell 'asleep' this morning' bless her little heart....Balled my eyes out:rolleyespink:....Why do i keep animals:rolleyespink:...think i love to tourcher myself....i have such respect for them all and go through this every time....
        The other chooks have been even more spoilt today....got their spring greens hanging up ,had some rice and grated cheese for tea and strawberries for supper....poppy has been dossed on the sofa for half an hour....and Ada now appears to be top chook and is ordering the others around....Mr L is not impressed about them wandering in and out of the house but hey ho....it's only because they don't take a blind bit of notice of him...mind you ...who does:heehee:

• Like Like x 7
        • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          Oh Loli,

May is with Eric now, bless.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
          • catztail

catztail Crazy Cat Lady

soon to be bus driver
            Ratings:
            +2,250
            Aaawwww...... Hugs Loli! Sounds like she went peacefully. She was well cared for and had a happy life. You're a good chicken mom.

• Like Like x 1
            • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +52,494
              Sleep tight May. Sorry to hear she's gone Loli. :sad:

• Like Like x 1
              • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
                +45,998
                I clicked 'like' - not really appropraite loli but just to say sorry about May.

• Like Like x 3
                • HYDROGEN86

HYDROGEN86 Head Gardener

Ratings:
                  +883
                  Awwwwww sooo sorry to hear that Loli, Just try to remember the good times 6 whole years!!

• Like Like x 1
                  • HYDROGEN86

HYDROGEN86 Head Gardener

Ratings:
                    +883
                    cant we have a pet cematery thread where we can put pictures and memorials for dead pets also offering emotional support?