MY POORLY APPLE TREE next season

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by idmcg, Jun 18, 2019.

Tags:
  1. idmcg

idmcg Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    IMG_20190618_160838.jpg This a repeat of what happened last year, only it is worse. Not only that but is showing on a maiden planted last winter.
    I would dearly like advice about this situation.

2. Mike77

Mike77 Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    Looks like powdery mildew. I've been cutting off and disposing of any foliage on my trees that show signs. You have to be careful not to let the spores spread. Just been reading that potassium bicarbonate can be used as an organic fungicide to kill spores.

3. idmcg

idmcg Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you so much Mike.

4. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,138
    Have you unfurled a leaf to see what's inside? Aphids will give the same effect and broadly do no damage, they're just feeding on the new growth

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
      +609
      I had something similar happen to my 2 miniture apple trees
      they never widen out and i have only had a couple of apples on them every year for the last 7 years
      I put them in 2 pots up the corner of the garden they seem ok though so i,ve left them maybe one day they will surprise me

• Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
      Ratings:
      +6,097
      Yes, by all means check the growth over. If I may. Bug infection, resulting in what might be called leaf curl. Usually this takes place with much more matured growth.

Although we tend to accept that trees and shrubs are much stronger than say, our border plants. They are perhaps more suseptible to weather changes, and in this case, I'd say watering. 'If in doubt, blame it on the weather'.

We have to accept that plants etc react in different ways to climatic conditions. For the past couple of years our climate really has gone haywire. All planlife is naturally programmed to react and adapt. Sadly weather conditions have really run amock and the plants mechanisms have been overpowered. Truly I can't explain it more simply. Leave well alone for now. At the end of the season, cut out any frail/unwanted growth. Continue to mulch etc. So, so many shrubs and trees are falling foul of the situation.