1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

My sunflower fell over and a most of the roots snapped.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by HBK, Sep 22, 2011.

1. HBK

HBK Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    My sunflower fell over and a most of the roots snapped. This was yesterday, I stood it up almost immediately, replanted it with the ball of roots that survived and gave it a drink. Today though it looks like it's dying, the leaves are wilting and it looks none too happy.

Is there anything I can do for it or is it now a lost cause?

Cheers.

2. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,807
    Leave for a while but I think you already know the answer.

They're hungry hungry plants and if most of the feeding roots are severed then the plant can't survive. It may go on for a bit longer with only a couple attached but it's going :(

• Like Like x 1
    • HYDROGEN86

HYDROGEN86 Head Gardener

Ratings:
      +883
      Gutted hbk :-( ...maybe a bamboo cane next year would help. I had a sunflower this year it was doing great untill I got up one morning and the flower head was gone and nowhere to be seen! Lol don't think the Squiral could have done it (alone) so It's a mystery to this day lol

• Like Like x 1
      • HBK

HBK Gardener

Ratings:
        +7
        It had a bamboo cane, only three feet tall but it had one. The head was huge and peeked above the top of the fence where it caught the strong wind, I reckon that's what did it.