1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

My tomato labels have been wiped off - how to tell if cordon or bush variety?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Samuel_1988, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Samuel_1988

Samuel_1988 Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    Morning all,

The labels for my tomatoes have been wiped off so I am unsure as to which type they are (I sowed both bush and cordon).

I know if you pinch out the suckers for the bush varieties I will get no fruit so I'm thinking of maybe removing 50% as a safe bet?

This time I am going to use a permanent marker!

Samuel

Attached Files:

2. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,698
    I would go with an average, you know what you sowed bush and cordon 3 varieties total.

Now, if you cannot work it out from how many of each variety you potted on, or if using a magnifying glass on the labels does not give any clues (I've done this before myself, you'll be surprised what you can see!)

Then is you sowed 2 bush variety and one cordon, leave all the side shoots on.

If you grew 2 cordon variety and one bush, take all the side shoots off.

This way you salvage 2/3rds of the crop.

If it is the latter option that you grew, you will still get some tomatoes on the bush variety, just not as many.

Steve...:)

But before removing any, give other people here time to reply too.

3. colne

colne Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +799
    Here removing the side shoots is optional on cordons. Same yield but smaller tomatoes if shoots left on - bigger tomatoes but less if they are pinched. I very rarely pinch shoots on cordon tomatoes and it does not matter, just get a big bushy thing. But that is here in a different place, lots of sun.