1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

my tub of morning glory and black eyed susan

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Daisies, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Okay - I'll get this section started, especially since it seems I've been put on as a mod here!

I made this medium sized tub and planted it up with morning glory and black eyed susan that I grew from seed. But despite all my care and attention they don't seem to be thriving so instead of an abundance of climbing flowers, all I've got is this pathetic looking growth with barely a dozen flowers.

Anyone got any suggestions what I might have done wrong?

[​IMG]

[ 14. September 2005, 10:53 AM: Message edited by: michaelmasdaisy ]

2. Larburnum

Larburnum Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    So glad so you have started the container gardening section.
    Your photograph makes me feel so good, as I thought I was the only one who could produce climbers in pots which turn out exactly like yours. I bought a nice willow wigwam for climbers but I have given up.

3. MrsMacGyver

MrsMacGyver Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    ok, that picture makes me feel so much better! I can never get decent looking pots - they're usually pretty pathetic looking. The only success I have had this year is with a trailing campanula, blue waterfall, which certainly lived up to its name [​IMG]

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,640
    Michaelmasdaisy, thats a long name, [​IMG] I know you've given it care and attention, but it looks like stavation to me.
    Its amazing how much plants like that take out of the soil, and with climers nitrogen is pretty important at first to build up a good plant before it starts to flower.
    Also the plants dont want to be flowering when they are planted up, if they are, then they've been left too long.
    Another thing is the compost, its not as good as it used to be at holding water and nutrient, thats if you used a soilless type. [​IMG]

5. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    In addition to Pete's response - morning glory is not the best plant to grow up a single poles as a single stem. Its a member of the convolvulus family - as is bind weed.

Having grown it in containers too - it needs something to set the flowers off - green or brown. Fabulous they are too - kinda like having a torch behind them - they glow. The best display I got off them was planted in a container on masse in front of my shed verandah - grew up the slats, and then all made for the post. Planted in my usual mix of multipurpose peat free compost, vermiculite, and a good handful of slow release fertilizer = and kept watered!

You should with a bit of feed and water be able to collect seed, to try again next year.

6. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,640
    If you haven't got any seed I can help, I bought a redish coloured type a couple of years ago and this year it self seeded everywhere. Morning glory in my spuds this year
    [​IMG] :D

7. Nic S

Nic S Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Most of my pots do quite well... but they do get watered with waste from the Koi Pond which is great for leaves as it is high in nitrogen... have to only use rain water where flowers are needed.

8. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Pete demonstrates the torch effect beautifully. Morning glory has the most amazing flower.

9. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,640
    Torch effect,see what you mean, not really noticed that before.

10. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    :eek: :eek:

You didn't notice!!! I have never seen a flower that does that so well - its that heart that makes it what it is - without just another convolvulus - talk about guiding insects to the spot - no wonder its a good seeder :D

[ 15. September 2005, 09:15 PM: Message edited by: Fran ]

11. Nik

Nik Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    This perennial Ipomea shows the torch effect, but it doesn't set any seeds :D

[​IMG]

Nik

12. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    I grew Morning Glory and Black -eyed Susan in containers this year. the Morning Glory was amazing and grew everywhere even when only one stick was supplied. The Black-eyed Susan hasn't done so well, only just getting going now! They do need an enormous amount of water, twice a day this summer, and feeding as well, anything is better than nothing. If your pot was terracotta it will have dried out even more quickly- I love terracotta pots but I line them with polyhene to retain moisture. Try putting the water retaining granules in as well.

13. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Thanks everyone! I did put some feed in before potting up but obviously wasn't enough! I've gien them a good feeding since and they seem to be making valient efforts to come back! Probaby a bit late fot the poor things now but I'll do better next year!