My Weeping Willow Has Fallen Over. Advice Sought

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Seafuryfan, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Seafuryfan

Seafuryfan Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh dear! I'm attaching a couple of photos for you to see the poor thing which is leaning over at about 45 degrees. It happened last night during high winds. Only a few of the roots are exposed and it seems to have some sort of a grip in the soil; it can be pushed back to the upright position but it takes only a nudge for it to tip over again.

I would like to save it, if possible. I'm in a mind to get a stake near the base and strap it to the trunk.

Can anyone advise please?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Give it a drastic pruning to reduce top heavy weight and wind resistance. It will soon put out fresh leaves and branches. Then stake it firmly.

3. Seafuryfan

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Hornbeam. Being a new gardener, what do you mean by 'drastic'? From what I've read in other posts, does this mean actually cutting off all the branches near to the trunk so the trunk is more or less all that's left?

And should each prune cut be at 90 degrees to the branch, or 45 degrees, or does it not matter?

4. Seafuryfan

Ratings:
    +0
    Here is the tree having been drastically pruned, and secured to a post. Actually, we rather like the intricate patterns revealed.

Does it need 'shaping'? Does it need pruning any more?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    That should be sufficient. Others may think you have gone too far, but not me. Make sure it gets buckets of water during the spring and summer. It should recover well. You must stop it rocking in the wind as that will loosen the roots again. If you go to a garden centre, you should be able to get a taller stake and a flexible "figure of eight" tree tie. That will secure the trunk to the stake without binding it too tightly or leaving a gap which will allow too much movement.

A picture is clearer than words - This is what I mean http://www.bigcushion.com/

6. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,370
    I think if it was my tree I'd be inclined to cut it back hard again next year, but before the winter gales start.
    It needs to build up a decent root system and that could take more than one season.

7. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Definitely get rid of the string tie as Hornbeam says get a real one from a garden center the string will cut into the tree as the tree rocks and damage it

8. Seafuryfan

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'd have never have thought about the damage the string could do - that's the beauty of asking here.

9. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +213
    Definitely a good idea Pete. ;)

Looks like a great job well done to me Seafuryfan. Get some new wide flexible ties and I think its as good as it can be, may well produce an even better shape [​IMG]

One question, is it split at the bottom ?

[​IMG]

10. Celia

Celia Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Old tights are very effective at staking trees. Our garden is full of them!

11. Seafuryfan

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Banana Man, here is a detail shot, I can't see any split, just natural curves. But I may be wrong. I'm sure there is a gardening term for it.

Nice one Celia. Rooting around in drawers to commence shortly.

[​IMG]

12. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Bicyle inner tubes cut into strips make pretty good elasticated ties. I've some on a fan plum tree that are now about 20 years old and still in good condition.

13. Seafuryfan

Ratings:
    +0