Dismiss Notice
MONTHLY PHOTO COMPS ARE BACK!

Get your camera out, take the best shots of your life and submit them to the photo competition!

Please Click Here!

My Wonderful Aloe...

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by ennnceee, May 21, 2021.

1. ennnceee

ennnceee Gardener

Ratings:
    +50
    ...which I've had for many years in the north facing window bay, appears to be failing. You can see the brown ends in the photo/s. Most are in the area directly facing the window, I don't know what this suggests.

Am I underwatering, overwatering, is it just too compact...

I can only water from the bottom and add a bottle full of water every week or two.

What to do, can it be saved in its current form?

Thank you
    Aloe 1.JPGAloe 2.JPG

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +44,750
    I think it needs dividing and repotting.
    Looks like you have lots of potential plants all crammed into one pot.
    It needs space to look good and do well.

3. Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
    +3,705
    I think it has character as it is. :) You can start a new round (or, rather, 10 new rounds) by dividing it, or just get a new, big container and re- pot the lot trimming away the oldest, tattered leaves.

Large plants like that look great in a rustic, sturdy clay bowl pot, or perhaps a modern, minimalist Skandi style is more to your taste? (I'm biased, but I like this :biggrin: )

Your watering seems to be right as the plant looks healthy. Traditionally succulents are recommended for more light than what a North facing window can offer, but as your plant looks fine it apparently likes its location.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • ennnceee

ennnceee Gardener

Ratings:
      +50
      Thank you. So would it be expected that after some years and as packed as it is, some of the leaves would turn brown? It just hasn't happened previously at all.

I would really not divide if at all possibe, it's such an interesting exhibit as it is!

• ennnceee

ennnceee Gardener

Ratings:
      +50
      I've just trimmed all the brown ends and it's back to its serene majesty! Whether it'll stay that way in the longer term, time will tell.

• Like Like x 1