1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

My Wonderful Aloe...

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by ennnceee, May 21, 2021.

1. ennnceee

ennnceee Gardener

Ratings:
    +68
    ...which I've had for many years in the north facing window bay, appears to be failing. You can see the brown ends in the photo/s. Most are in the area directly facing the window, I don't know what this suggests.

Am I underwatering, overwatering, is it just too compact...

I can only water from the bottom and add a bottle full of water every week or two.

What to do, can it be saved in its current form?

Thank you
    Aloe 1.JPG Aloe 2.JPG

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,990
    I think it needs dividing and repotting.
    Looks like you have lots of potential plants all crammed into one pot.
    It needs space to look good and do well.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
      +7,681
      I think it has character as it is. :) You can start a new round (or, rather, 10 new rounds) by dividing it, or just get a new, big container and re- pot the lot trimming away the oldest, tattered leaves.

Large plants like that look great in a rustic, sturdy clay bowl pot, or perhaps a modern, minimalist Skandi style is more to your taste? (I'm biased, but I like this :biggrin: )

Your watering seems to be right as the plant looks healthy. Traditionally succulents are recommended for more light than what a North facing window can offer, but as your plant looks fine it apparently likes its location.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • ennnceee

ennnceee Gardener

Ratings:
        +68
        Thank you. So would it be expected that after some years and as packed as it is, some of the leaves would turn brown? It just hasn't happened previously at all.

I would really not divide if at all possibe, it's such an interesting exhibit as it is!

• ennnceee

ennnceee Gardener

Ratings:
        +68
        I've just trimmed all the brown ends and it's back to its serene majesty! Whether it'll stay that way in the longer term, time will tell.

• Like Like x 1
        • ennnceee

ennnceee Gardener

Ratings:
          +68
          I don't know if I carry on here or should start a new one, but, anyway, four months on...

Some of the tips are starting to turn brown again, so I bought a moisture meter and it's showing in the red. So I added two or three litre bottles of water at the bottom thinking that underwatering might be the problem. However, although the meter is still halfway up the red, the last lot of water hasn't completely been 'sucked up'. There's still some in the tray, which is the first time it's ever happened. So, although I think I've been careful with watering, a bottle full every couple of weeks, perhaps that's too much.

What do you think?

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +85,990
          Can only say what I said before, its a totally pot bound plant that needs sorting out.;):smile:

• Clare G

Clare G Super Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,731
            Another vote for splitting it up, but I note that in the photos all the brown leaves seem to be on the window side - is that the case? Maybe they don't like so much direct light.

• ennnceee

ennnceee Gardener

Ratings:
              +68
              Too much light? Well it's been in that position for years, and only in recent times have some of the tips turned brown, so possibly not?

As for splitting it up, I do take the point, but am resisting as it's so interesting and such a talking point.

Any views on the watering, anyone?

• Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
              +7,681
              It might just be getting old and preparing to shed lower leaves. Aloes can eventually get like that- but if you like a bit of character it's ok. Underwatering is rarely a problem with succulents, if they get seriously dry they will shrivel and that's easy to spot.

If the plant has been in the same pot for a very long time it may have "eaten up" the soil so a moisture meter may not give a true reading. A better indicator (if you can't poke a finger into the soil) is the weight of the pot. Try lifting it when it's very dry, then water copiously and lift again the day after to get an idea of the weight.

Next spring get a lovely, bigger container and keep enjoying the plant. It's a nice one and whilst splitting it up would be a good idea, there is nothing wrong in keeping it as a whole and accept that it may not look picture book perfect. My vote goes for character :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1
              • ennnceee

ennnceee Gardener

Ratings:
                +68
                Thanks for that. Probably right about the soil, or absence of it, and about re-potting, although goodness knows how I'd get it out. Agree about weight, too, I often do that with outside pots. I'll try the weight test when I can find a way to get close enough to get my arms round it!