1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Mystery houseplant - can anyone name please?

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Claire75, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Claire75

Claire75 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My grandmother gave me this plant when it was a baby, probably about five or six years ago, but she couldn't remember what it was or where she got it from. I've tried to show the underside of the leaves as well but the photos aren't all that clear I'm afraid - the leaves have a few tiny raised spikes (or maybe they're pores?) on the underside.
    I haven't seen it anywhere else and don't know if it has any particular care needs, although it's done fine so far! But mostly I'm just curious to know what it is and see if I can find out more about it. I'd be very grateful for any help!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,898
    Hi Clare75. You don't say if this flowers or not, so assume not.

The leaves are very reminiscent of a Tropaeolum majus (Nasurtium) but I'm not saying that is what it is!

Is it a trailer/climber or just a bendy-over plant?

3. Claire75

Claire75 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi LoL and thanks for replying.
    I forgot to say about flowers - it has never had any and I've had it a few years so I assume they don't... I also forgot to say that it's around 25cm or 10" tall.
    It should be upright, rather than a climber or trailer, it's sort of got a "trunk" in the middle - the weird shape is my fault, I think it got a little bit squashed last time I moved, then started growing towards a window before I could straighten it up.
    I can see what you mean about nasturtiums - I'm growing some of those too actually - the leaves are similar in that the stalks join the leaves near the middle on the underneath of the leaf. The leaves are quite thick though, and waxy-shiny.

4. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    I know this plant! I used to have one- I'm racking my brains for the name. It's one of those plants which were around a lot in the 60s.
    [​IMG]

5. Claire75

Claire75 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Ooooh great! Thanks Liz, hope the name comes to you.

6. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,898
    I've gone through all my houseplant books, which include two American ones, and find nothing similar although it does look familiar.

My first thought was a Swedish Ivy but I don't think the leaves are quite right and you have said it's upright so that counts that out!

Come on, Liz, get in gear ... [​IMG]

7. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,496
    I think it's a variety of Peperomia, not very popular houseplants these days. I'll prod the grey matter for it's other names as I have grown it in the past. ;)

8. Claire75

Claire75 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  9. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,898
    Well done you, Claire 75! [​IMG] Looks like it to me! I have nine Pilea pictured but not this one.

As usual, strongy, you were on the right track ... but then you should be as it's your business! [​IMG]

10. Claire75

Claire75 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh - I thought I looked up peperomia and it was one... :$ happy accident i guess! and definitely strongylodon's post that led me there, so thanks again [​IMG]

So does "pilea peperomioides" mean "pilea that looks like a peperomia"?

It is weird how plants that are in the same group can sometimes look so different - i've just looked up some other pilea as I'd never heard of them before, and they look totally different to my plant!

11. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    I looked up Peperomia in my Dr Hessayon indoor plant spotter book yesterday,but wasn't sure because of the trailing habit of your plant.My book is the 1985 addition,so I am not sure if updated books show a photo like yours. [​IMG]

12. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    beautiful plant: I'll definitely own one sooner or later...

13. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,485
    Mrs shiney has also confirmed it is a Pilea. She has been growing them and selling them at plant sales and they go like hot cakes [​IMG] [​IMG] . She says they propogate very easily.

14. Claire75

Claire75 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all!
    I think they're lovely plants and so easy to look after, it's strange that they went out of fashion. Shiney, I agree about the propagation, my house is gradually filling up with baby peace lillies and these!
    Miraflores, I'll happily send you one of the babies if you want to PM me an address I can send it to, already promised one to another member here [​IMG] - well, if I can work out how to protect it in the post!
    I'm so pleased to have found out what it is and a bit about the history of the plant too, so many thanks to everyone who helped (or tried to remember what it was called), I really do appreciate it - I've been wondering about it for years!

15. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    What a relief - I have been suffering from brain strain- I kept looking up money plant and coming up with the Jade plant! I really like their odd leaves. [​IMG]