1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

nasturtiums

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by alan, Jun 25, 2005.

1. alan

alan Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    can anyone tell me why my two flower pouches filled with nasturiums have suddenly become covered in green/black catapillers and i mean covered 3-4 on each leaf.nothing else seems to be affected.whats my best form of attack
    thanks in advance :confused:

2. cathysue

cathysue Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Sounds like cabbage white caterpillars, they love nasturtiums. Only solution is to pick them off and squish them (if you really must :( )You could also plant lots more nasturtiums so that there's enough for the caterpillars and yourself :D

3. Ladybird

Ladybird Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Alan, Definatly Blackflies, for that reason I never grow Nasturtiums and any any other prone to this pests... :rolleyes: Cut them back, burn them and hope they will the plant will come back again, plenty of time still.....best put a systemic in soil after,to last last the rest of season.
    ---------
    Ladybird

[ 28. June 2005, 11:26 PM: Message edited by: Ladybird ]

4. alan

alan Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Ladybird, surely 2 inch long caterpillars do not become blackflies. My dad told me to put a systemic into the soil will that not kill the cabbage white butterflys?

Cathysue have loads of nasturtiums growing up back fence untouched by the caterpillars, they have only smothered the ones in the pouches hanging on the wall. Why?

thanks
    :confused:

5. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Nasturtiums are very prone to blackfly and also to cabbage white butterfly caterpillars

But all parts are edible to humans..seeds leaves and flowers...just make sure there are no caterpillars on first [​IMG]

6. JoMack

JoMack Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hia, I live in Preston and I always find mine get covering in stripy caterpillars, like cathysue I thought they were cabbage white caterpillars and have always just left them to munch as they don't seem to bother anything else in the garden

7. cathysue

cathysue Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Alan, sods law means that the plants in your nice decorative baskets/pouches, that your neighbours are supposed to look on in envy will always be the ones that will get eaten by caterpillars, covered in blackfly, suffer from mildew etc etc :rolleyes: Time to try something else in the pouches?