1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Nasturtiums?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Fat Controller, May 26, 2015.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,477
    I have a semi-shaded corner that has a large conifer at the back of it; with the reshaping of the lawn recently done, there is now a bit more border space in front of the tree, but it is never really going to come to anything meaningful. I don't want it bare (and I sort of want to have plants that deter the dog from sneaking round the back of the tree to annoy next door's dog), and I want something that will grow quickly in what is pretty poor soil - hence, I am thinking nasturtiums.

But, is it too late to sow them, and if not should I bring them on in a seed tray first or just direct sow a packet or three?

I also have a packet of mint seeds, so I am wondering if I should lob them in there also - I know mint can be a bit of a thug, which in this corner would not bother me?

2. CharlieBot

CharlieBot Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,523
    I would sow the nasturtiums direct now. The mint, go for it as long as you know you are going to keep it. I foolishly put some in border last year before I knew what they were...I was yanking it out yesterday to make tea.
    Other direct sowers you could use instead are nigella, Californian poppy or cornflowers. The poppies would look good with nasturtiums.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,547
      I would sow the Nasturtiums but definitely not the mint, that's asking for trouble! :biggrin:

Edit: Think mint, think grape hyacinths FC. :doh:

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Fat Controller

Public Transport
        Ratings:
        +49,477
        Thank you both :)

I'll see what I can pick up this morning and get them down - I am not overly fussy about that corner as not much will survive there as its dry and shady

• Like Like x 2
        • Fat Controller

Public Transport
          Ratings:
          +49,477
          I got a couple of packets of nasturtiums when I was in Sainsburys earlier - they had nothing else that would have been suitable. I am hoping to get that side of the garden cleared tomorrow, so will sow them then; all I have to do thereafter is keep the dog off until they get themselves going

• Like Like x 1
          • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +5,089
            I found an old packet in the cupboard and sowed them in roottrainers, so far so good. Not many but enough to gather their seeds atseason end for a bigger batch next year.

• Like Like x 2