1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

National Gardens Scheme

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by miraflores, Apr 24, 2011.

1. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    I picked up this 50 pages booklet in the library a couple of days ago, which is the London edition of the "National Gardens Scheme" (www.ngs.org.uk), meaning the gardens open for charity one or two days a year.
    Most of them are private gardens and sometimes the owner sells some plants.
    I was surprised to see how many are in London, also in areas where one wouldn't expect it. Enough to keep you busy most of the months until the winter!

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,465
    Hi miraflores,
    There are also a lot of gardens in Essex in the scheme - ther's a separate book for each county. There are some really good ones in Essex and the thing that a lot of people do is to plan a day out doing a number of them. We just work out a route with a number of gardens on it and do as many as we feel up to doing - with making a stop for a pub lunch on the way :dbgrtmb:.

If you don't have the book you can do a search for the gardens near you on their website. They give you a number of different ways for doing the search in the top right-hand corner of their front page on the site

NGS - The National Gardens Scheme. Gardens Open For Charity

3. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,594
    Miraflores, I think you'll be hard pushed to find one on the island.

Red rag to a bull, I bet you go and check. Only teasing!:heehee:

4. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I think its a brilliant scheme. And Shiney, what a good idea to do a number together. That way it makes it worth going to the ones further away.

5. alana

alana Super Gardener

Head Gardener
    Ratings:
    +2,618
    Good news :) Some of the gardens are opening on Sunday 15th June. It is tickets only and they are available on the NGS website. Social distancing. I'm off to visit a lovely, three acre, garden in a village near me on Sunday. I'm hoping for decent weather but being a hardy soul I'll just be pleased to get out in different surroundings.:spinning:

• Like Like x 1
    • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
      Ratings:
      +6,097