1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Need a clever plan to prune my raspberries right

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Selleri, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
    +7,629
    I bought a 3-pack of raspberry canes from Wilkos, allegedly there is one early fruiting, 1 mid- and 1 late fruiting plant.

Being a tidy lady, I carefully threw away the box, as well as the tags attached to the canes. :dunno:

Now I have a huge container with 7 healthy canes, 2 of them are flowering now. (That's £2.99 well spent... :) )

How should I prune them and when? I somehow recall that late fruiting ones should be cut down after fruiting, but early fruiters will fruit on last year's canes...

Should I just chop the fruited canes after frosts and leave the rest?

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    After an individual cane has finished fruiting then cut it down to the ground. Doesn't matter if it is early / late or summer / autumn fruiting, that methods works for all of them. The Summer fruiting ones will produce suckers this Spring that fruit Next year, and Autumn fruiting ones will produce a sucker this spring that carries fruit late Summer this year ... but if you prune immediately after fruiting then you don't need to know / care about when they sucker / fruit etc.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
      +7,629
      Thanks Kristen,
      I'll do that!
      I started to get worried as it seems that now all the canes want to flower this year. Not complaining though :)