1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

NEED ADVICE FOR CONTAINER PLANTING OF PEONIES AND ROSES IN WINTER

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by Black Orchid, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Black Orchid

Black Orchid Gardener

Ratings:
    +583
    I could not resist the temptation to buy a collection of 8 peonies and a collection of 6 roses from J.Parker's garden centre on 19 October in their Internet shop. The plants (bare rooted) were promised to be delivered within 28 days. I have a very small garden. So I can plant them only in pots. I hoped I would have enough time to plant them in autumn before 19 November. Unfortunately I have not got the plants so far. I sent 3 emails to the garden centre and phoned them as well. They still promise that the plants will be delivered very soon. I hope that I will get them in the long run but as it is getting very cold, especially at nights I am worried of planting them in pots in such a weather.
    I would be very grateful if anybody could advise me what to do in such a situation. I would be very much upset if my plants do not survive the winter frosts.
    • Thank you in advance.

2. Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Black Orchid,

It would help us all if you could put where you live on your details, that way we could judge roughly what type of weather you have in Winter.

As to your question, they should really be planted out as soon as you receive them as they will be field grown plants from Parkers, not grown in greenhouses etc. This means that they have been growing outside for perhaps the last 2 or 3 years and are only used to outdoors conditions.

As to the delay, remember that we've had a mild autumn and these will arrive as bare rooted plants so they may not have fully gone into rest mode yet. I received Roses from Parkers last year just before Christmas and planted then out on Christmas Day and they settled in brilliantly and flowered well this year !

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Black Orchid

Black Orchid Gardener

Ratings:
      +583
      20161030_145953-1.jpg 20161026_153131-1.jpg Hello Anthony,
      Thanks a lot for your quick response and advice.
      I live just 5 min drive from Manchester City Centre on the way to Prestwich.
      I am a new gardener but very greedy as I want more and more plants. But fortunately the majority of my plants survive and make me feel happy.
      My daughter and I went to Tatton Park flower show at the end of July. I bought and planted 12 bulbs of lilies. 3 yellow lilies were in blossom a month ago. The 3 pink lilies are in blossom in my lounge now because I dragged them in being frightened of frost now ght a fortnight ago.
      Now I admire them in my lounge (145cm tall from the floor!) and the smell is gorgeous .
      Have a look at my pictures please. 20161123_142521.jpg 20161123_142511.jpg 20161120_135342-1.jpg 20161126_130235.jpg 20161112_152121-1-1.jpg

• Like Like x 4
      • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,836
        I can understand the temptation, BO, in buying the Peonies as I have 11 or more in my borders but Peonies do become big plants in time so you''ll need big pots of, in my opinion at least 13 inches in diameter. To be honest, I'm not a fan of growing Peonies in pots but then if you've got no other choice then go for it.:snork: You could, perhaps make a bigger container to put them, or some of them, into making it easier. The other thing is that once they start in growth they will need feeding at least once a week with either a General Fertiliser or Tomato Feed [I use the last] to keep them healthy as they produce growth quickly once established

Planting

Herbaceous peonies have thick, tuberous roots and are sold as either bare-root or container-grown plants. Bare-root plants usually have at least three or four growth buds and produce flowering plants quickly, often within a season or two of planting. Container-grown plants often have fewer (two to three) buds and can take longer to establish.

• Ideally plant in the autumn. Alternatively, plant in early spring
        • Prepare the planting area by incorporating organic matter such as garden compost or well-rotted manure
        • On poor soil apply a general fertiliser such as Growmore as at 70g per sq m (2oz per sq yd)
        • Avoid deep planting; make sure that the top of the crown is 5cm (2in) below the soil level
        • If planting actively-growing plants, it is generally best to plant at the same soil level as in the pot
        • Water regularly when rain is lacking during the first year to aid establishment, especially if planted in spring or later in the season
        Container cultivation
        Herbaceous peonies are not well-suited for long term container cultivation. If necessary, for example when moving house, lift the plant preferably in the autumn. Otherwise, do it in early spring. Use soil-based potting compost such as John Innes No 3. Do not let the compost dry out. Plant it out into the final position as soon as possible.

Moving
        Contrary to popular belief, herbaceous peonies can be successfully moved. This should be done in the autumn. Try to cause as little disturbance to the root system as possible. This can prove challenging as established clumps have deep tuberous root systems and the roots are brittle. Avoid replanting too deeply as this may adversely affect flowering. It can take a couple of years for the plant to settle"

They're one of my favourite plants, even though they have a short flowering period relative to other plants, and it always seems to rain when they flower:heehee: Don't believe the myth, because that is what it is, that Peonies don't like being moved. In the early years my original Peonies, which I still have, were moved by my Wife several times when she thought they were doing as well as they should where they were, and they always flowered the following year. They will need extra care if they're in pots and if you've got any bubble wrap I would insulate the pots with that if you haven't got any where sheltered to put the pots and then in Spring when they show growth use that Tomato Feed!!:snorky: A lot of the GC Gang only have small gardens like you but love their gardens so you're in good company.:love30::thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2016
      • Black Orchid

Black Orchid Gardener

Ratings:
        +583
        Thank you ARMANDII for your encouraging and inspiring response and your advice for planting and taking care of peonies. I somehow thought that it is much worse to buy bare rooted plants. Now I understand that it is not so but quite the opposite.
        Could you also advise me please how to take care of tree peonies in winter which I planted in pots in summer? It was my first temptation to buy peonies because GROUPON promised that 3 different tree peonies would be delivered well established with buds ready to bloom shortly. In reality they arrived in pots looking very miserably and without any buds. I immediately replanted them in bigger pots with great hope that they will start at least growing next spring.
        Thank you in advance.

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,836
        Well, I don't have any tree peonies as hardy herbaceous perennials that disappear into the ground are more my line!! But Tree Peonies are just woody stemmed peonies so, firstly you've done the right thing by potting them on even if they were looking very miserable, and without any buds.
        Secondly, Peonies are now in their dormant stage so they will never look good at this time.:dunno: If you've potted them on into good standard compost they'll be fine but, again, they will need large pots of around 13 inches in diameter or more to be happy.
        Then, in Spring, feed them as I advised for the other Peonies. One thing though, I do know that one of the biggest killers of Peonies in pots is over watering so you can let them get reasonably dry before watering. Tree Peonies will last around 5 to 6 years in containers before they start to go down in growth and flowering and the only real way to get them back is to plant them in the ground. What varieties of peonies did you get?:scratch::snorky:

:heehee::whistle::heehee::loll:............like all marketing blurb there's always a optimistic, exaggeration, of the "truth":dunno::snorky:

To a certain extent that's true, but buying dry root plants is really good during the dormant phase of late Autumn to Spring.:dunno::snorky:

• Black Orchid

Black Orchid Gardener

Ratings:
        +583
        Dear ARMANDII,
        Thanks a lot for your time to respond and for your very useful advice.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +31,885
          Your lilies are GORGEous!!!! :love30: :thumbsup:

• Black Orchid

Black Orchid Gardener

Ratings:
          +583
          Thank you for appreciation!

• Friendly Friendly x 1