1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Need advice laying down membrane

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by enginestar, Aug 23, 2018.

1. enginestar

enginestar Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +9
    One section of my garden is 4m wide.
    Should I get 2m wide and lay side by side + pegs to secure.
    Or 4m wide and pegs on sides only?

My guess was the if 4m, I will need pegs down the middle anyway?

2m is better for me, as the other part of my garden is 2m wide.

I know it probably sounds really simple! I thought I'd ask before buying.

ALSO... for an area of 44m square (in total) how many pegs do I need? 50?

ALSO... in the edges... should I attempt to 'tuck' in the membrane on the edges, or just go upto the edge and put down pegs?

Thanks.

2. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    Do you mean 'Mypex' or similar woven polypropylene membrane? I use this extensively for planting through, and use lengths of galvanised fencing straining wire to form giant 'staples' to hold it down.

I've just got back from a flying visit to Dorset, leaving at 5:30 yesterday morning, going via RSPB Arne, camping overnight, getting up at 5:00 to go beach fishing this morning, going to the Melplash Show, then driving 3hrs 30mins back home this afternoon, so I'm not quite up to speed again, but will find the posts and pics and post shortly ...

• Like Like x 1
    • enginestar

Ratings:
      +9
      pics would be fantastic :)

mypex?
      never heard of.
      i was going to order from ebay. cheaper than b&q substantially.

giant staples - but do you tuck in at the sides?

usage: to put woodchip on.
      let me know what you would suggest.
      thanks.

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
      Is this for a pathway Enginestar? Or for ground you want to plant in, make a border in??

• Scrungee

Ratings:
      +28,997
    • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +14,233
      Hi enginestar, I've used both methods on the edges and would recommend tucking them in with a spade, if possible. Especially if you're going to be mowing anywhere near the edge.

• enginestar

Ratings:
      +9
      @Verdun
      not for pathway. for nothing really. we're planning to put plant boxes on top to grow things on one side. on the other side we have a trampoline that takes up most of the garden (literally). right now, weeds are growing back (after getting rid of a few weeks ago).

@Scrungee this is what i wanted to buy
      ebay.co.uk/itm/142285497530. This is one I was considering.

@noisette47 thanks for the advice. I'll tuck in where i can.

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
    • Scrungee

Ratings:
      +28,997
      That's £24.99 for 25 x 2m (50p/m2)

The last membrane I bought was this stuff, £36.99 for 50 x 2m (37p/m2) 2m Wide is an easy width to handle. If you use 4m wide membrane, peg down in the middle as the wind can get underneath and lift it.

Yuzet 2m x 50m 100g Weed Control Fabric Ground Cover Membrane Landscape Mulch 5055557500133 | eBay

I assume you mean 44 square metres (not 44m square, which is an area 44m x 44m)

A roll that's 25 x 2m might be a bit tight after allowing for min. 150mm overlaps at internal junctions and another 150mm downstand tucked in at external perimeter. This sort of membrane can have some imperfections that you might want to cut out, causing a small amount of wastage. Might be a good idea produce a sketch planning your laps and downstands.

For edges next to grass (which I strim), I've used timber edging boards because it frays like crazy if you just touch it with strimmer line. But mention of a trampoline could mean that edgings might be an unacceptable trip hazard.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
    • enginestar

Ratings:
      +9
      the measurements are:

5.25m x 4.9m + 3.2m x 2.2m
      and
      2.1m x 4.9m

I added up and it's less than 44m square

see the image below.
      grey is concrete.
      green is the neighbors fence - concrete on the bottom and fence on top.
      purple is a shed.
      dark brown is a patch that i haven't included in measurements. i suppose i could add membrane there as well.

let me know what you think.

[​IMG]
      and blue is the trampoline :)

thanks

• Scrungee

Ratings:
      +28,997
      I'm assuming a min of 150mm laps and and 150mm turn under/down at perimeters:

This would require 3 × (0.15 +4.9+0.15) 5.2m lengths = 15.6m of 2m wide membrane, with the 750mm difference between 6m and 5.25m used for 2 internal overlaps and 2 perimeter turn unders/downstands, with the remaining 150mm removed as wastage or used to increase the 150mm min lap.

Avoiding one strip being extremely narrow would require 3 x (0.15 +2.1 +0.15) 2.4m lengths = 7.2m of wide membrane, with the 1100mm difference between 6m and 4.9m used for 2 internal overlaps and 2 perimeter turn unders/downstands, with the remaining 500mm removed to be used elsewhere.

2.2 (25 - 15.6 - 7.2m) x 2m & 2.4 x 500mm pieces now remain to cover this area, which would be inadequate.

P.S. I'll now check if reducing perimeter allowance to 100mm will work ..... EDIT pending

That would leave 2.8 x 2m and 2.5 x 600mm, still just short of what's required to finish the job. And that's without finding some flaw in the weave of the membrane that requires both a piece to be cut out, plus additional laps at a join.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018