1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Need advice on how to restrict plant spreading

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Reddwarf4ever, Oct 20, 2019.

?

Need advice on how to restrict plant spreading

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Reddwarf4ever

Reddwarf4ever Apprentice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi
    I have, what I refer to as a ‘spider plant’. It spreads out everywhere and I need to find a way to control it.
    I have heard that it’s possible to replant it in a bucket with the bottom cut out, buried flush with the surface. Not sure if that would work, or if it would eventually have a detrimental affect on the plant. My other idea was similar, a plastic ‘ring’ again made from an old bucket, but recessed only 4-6” below ground, to stop the surface spread.

any advice would be greatly appreciated. 52BCA247-6419-4FA9-960C-A4FB28EC27CC.jpeg 2326549B-45AC-42D5-A2D9-F0F4F197277B.jpeg

sorry I didn't understand what was expected in the poll responses, doesn’t seem to be an option to Not have a poll...

2. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,667
  3. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,249
    I think planting in a bottomless pot buried to about soil level would work. I've done it with mint in the past. Will only stop roots/stolons from spreading, top growth will still spread and could root.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Clare G

Clare G Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,731
      Doesn't look to me like a spider plant (=Chlorophytum, as in link above) but rather a Phalaris known as gardener's garters: https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/details?plantid=5090

I have it here growing in a lined tank filled mostly with gravel + a bit of earth next to my garden pond, together with some ferns. It does spread rapidly so confining it to a bottomless container, in the same way as one do with a mint, sounds to me like a good idea. I would say place that flush with the surface, if you bury it deeper the Phalaris would just grow outwards above the container rim.

Incidentally the Chlorophytums can also be used outside and make good summer bedding plants. Here in London the foliage on mine usually dies off over winter, but the rhizomes underneath survive and sprout again in the spring unless there's prolonged frost.

• Agree Agree x 1