1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Need advice, watering

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by David Cook, Jun 2, 2020.

1. David Cook

David Cook Gardener

Ratings:
    +20
    Hello,

I need some advice, I watered all my plants at 7 am this morning. I have just gone and checked on them and a lot of the smaller stuff, like lettuce, radish have all dried out. The soil on all the others is dry but the plants still look bright and are not dry. Also the heat i think is to hot for things like the herbs I have tried to grow since beginning of may, it's either that or 2 84 cell trays have all dud seeds.

My garden has sun on it all day long, there is no shade at all.

Any advice, on what to do.

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,559
    I suggest watering in the evening after sunset David, the ground won't dry out as fast overnight.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • David Cook

David Cook Gardener

Ratings:
      +20
      Yeh i have been watering about 8pm but it seems come the day time there is a problem.

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,559
      Is it possible for you to rig up a shade to give them some screening from the sun?

• Agree Agree x 1
      • David Cook

David Cook Gardener

Ratings:
        +20
        not really, i suppose i could pop them under the patio table, to give them some shade.

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,201
        Hi,

In this heat many young plants are suffering , so watering 2 or 3 times a day is needed, plus as @Sheal says rig up some simple shading for the delicate plants like the young lettuce.

Also try things like the redish loose leaf lettuce varieties which we find tollerate the heat more.

Lettuce and some other plants like Parsley prefer a lower temperature for germination, wonder what herbs you have been trying to grow ?

For the popular herbs, we just buy the small pots of growning herbs you find in the supermarkets veg sections, just divide them up and pot them on to get a good few new plants. :)

Edit, from your last reply, seems they are in pots , not the ground/soil as we first thought

How big are the plants and what size pots do you have them in, assume its compost you have them in which can dry out very quickly if the pots too small.

• Like Like x 1
          Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +52,559
          The table is a good idea and you could possibly drape some netting or an old net curtain over the table when not in use for extra protection.