Need ADVICE

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Janet mahay, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
    +609
    Before my neighbour bought her house sometime ago the previous owner loved conifer trees and planted 4 2on each side of the garden 2years ago she had a tree surgeon who trimmed them as they were big but on my side I have noticed one of them by my fence is turning brown dying and any plants I grow by my fence are dying. too in fact I put in some french marigolds and they are dying yet the ones not near the conifer are growing but at a slow rate also grass has more daisy weeds than usual and other side next door the garden is full of trees weeds and brambles so plants on that side seem to be dying I am a loss I have eve tried putting plants in pots and fertilize the soil but still not doing well even raspberries and strawberries did well last year in a pot but this year poor maybe the only alternative is a greenhouse any other suggestions

2. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,184
    Hi,

You do not say how tall or wide the conifers are now ( a pic would help) but our thoughts would be its roots are draining all the moisture and nutrients out of the soil on both sides of the fence.

If in poor conditon, is the conifer is going to be removed soon ?

3. Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
    +609
    Update she said next week she going to remove 2as they are very wide they blocking her from walking down her garden and she said later she hopes to have the other 2removed when she have saved a bit they are 6ft tall and my fence is 5ft so most likely the roots as you said are drying out the soil I kust have to put up with it for now no good arguing over trees she is a lovely neighbour

4. Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
    +609
  5. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,184
    Hi,

Hmmm... at 6ft tall doubt that will be having that much impact on the surrounding ground more than a few feet from its trunk.

Suspect the problem may be the strange weather this year has so far produced.
    Lots of rain to wash away the nurtients, then long hot dry spells, many plants are suffering.

Have you been watering well during dry spells and have you added any fertilizers, quick or slow acting ?

The end of your gardens are they alongside a farmers field where some herbicides have been used etc ?