Need Advise for new Lawn and levelling the garden

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Hardik Waghela, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Hardik Waghela

Hardik Waghela Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Good Afternoon guys,

i am seeking much needed help from you guys, this is my first post .

I have bought a house in 2018 and the garden was in such a state, i will give you brief idea of the lay out so the house was extended at the rear and coming out the patio doors at the back there was 3 meter decking area and then rest of it was more or less neglected forest. with lots and lots of rubble, unwanted bases for i guess summer houses ( no summer house or green house just the base) plenty of conifers so over the years i have myself worked and did bits by bits as we are young growing family plus we got the house on the max end budget so with all the expenses i wasn't able to afford to get a landscaper.
    Anyway last summer i took the decking out and and patio done myself, now i have got big area which i want natural lawn all over i have last year had few diggers and rotation sessions to get the garden as flat as i could and it appears very flat but i m bit too fussy, i want it perfectly flat. Whats the best way to go about it what tools will i need i am going to seed it, i have already bought big bag of seed from Rolawn and pre-seeding fertilizer. soil drains really well even with rain we had during winter i never had any puddles at all and water drained very very well. so my plan now is to rotavate it and grade it I have got natural slope so ground at the back fence is higher than the house and side fence is higher on the walkway side and my neighbours fence is lower so. i cant get rid of the slope as its quiet significant but all i want is just have it graded flat and get rid of bumps and dips whats the best way to do it?
    i will upload as many pics as i can thanks

2. Hardik Waghela

Ratings:
    +1
    By the way recent i have had glyphosate sprayed and killed all the weeds think i need to get the rotavator in and will get the dead weeds raked out. I always wanted timber edging flush to patio and loan so when mowing it i can have two wheels of mower on edging

3. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +41,168
    Welcome Hardik. :) You may be able to hire a garden lute to level the garden but a cheaper way would be to drag a ladder attached to rope across it.

4. Hardik Waghela

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks I'm thinking of using blue chep pallet for levelling

• Like Like x 1
    • Hardik Waghela

Ratings:
      +1
      I thought i would give an update on the progress i made on Thursday i rotavated all garden to very good depth, about 200mm plus all over. I raked out almost a tonne of stones however there is still plenty more the more i sieve the more appeared so i had to do with what it was and then seeded the Ro-lawn medallion turf seed and pre-seeding fertilizer before seeding....