1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Free or Paid Help with Ideas for New Garden Please

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Andrew Biggs, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Andrew Biggs

Andrew Biggs Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi there, just in the process of buying a house and the very nice owners have put big garage in the middle of the plot which divides up the garden and makes it feel claustrophobic and much smaller than it is.

There is a lower small field which is currently fenced off which I want to bring all the areas together to create a big garden. I plan to knock down the current garage and move it out of the way opening up the garden.

I prefer traditional, country style garden design but keeping a lot of grassed area as I have 2 young children.

Here are the features I want to include:

Greenhouse
    Vegetable Patch
    Breeze House
    Driveway
    Double Garage
    Patio
    Playground Set

I am happy to pay for a nice design or of course free help would also be appreciated. I just feel if I go for a local designer, I would get the diversity of ideas I could get here.

Let me give you a feel for the garden:

[​IMG]
    here is the aerial view which should give you an outline of the plot

[​IMG]
    another aerial view but from a perspective (i cant get any other perspectives)

[​IMG]
    a lower gate on the small field which is currently not being used

[​IMG]
    a side view of the small field (see the lower marker to identify where pic is taken from)

[​IMG]
    the existing gate at the side of the house

[​IMG]
    a section of lawn to the side of the garage (south lawn)

[​IMG]
    another section of lawn next to the side gate (north lawn)

[​IMG]
    south lawn looking back at the house

[​IMG]
    north lawn looking back at house

finally, here are some amateurs quickie attempts at making something more in line with what I want:

[​IMG]

hope someone here can help as I an a total newb at this kind of stuff.

Thanks

Andy

• Like Like x 1
    • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
      Ratings:
      +14,125
      Hi Andy [​IMG] Well you certainly have a nice little plot there.. :SUNsmile: So much scope you are lucky.. A lot of planning & work though.. I have no idea where you are as that will make a difference...
      We do have an excellent gardener & garden designer on here & a great guy too, Chris, aka Boghopper You could PM him or this is his email http://www.chrisodonoghue.co.uk

I am sure he would be able to help as I am sure other members may be able too as well.. Good Luck & look forward to seeing you around the forums.. :SUNsmile:

• Like Like x 1
      • Naylors Ark

Naylors Ark Struggling to tame her French acres.

Ratings:
        +1,019
        It looks like a nice garden already, you're lucky to have such a neat plot to start with Andy. :) I just thought I'd mention that before you go removing trees and buildings, that you check for prevailing winds. On a large plot it could be important. If for instance you get strong winds from the direction of the fields next door and you then remove trees and the garage, It could get quite unpleasant sitting by the house. Also I find a single 'open' garden looks smaller than one semi divided up. Your eye almost needs layers at different distances to gauge size. Far more pleasant to have some parts in view and some out, forcing you to go and wander round the garden to see what's there. Another thought, depending on the construction of the garage, why not remove the walls and leave the roof (or parts of) to leave a shady sitting /BBQ area.

• Andrew Biggs

Ratings:
        +4
        Thanks guys for the replies, yeah I must admit, I do much prefer the open feel of a big garden and want my kids to enjoy it, and to be able to relax, I would like to be able to know where they are and see them.

Its a great website and looking forward to getting involved as soon as I get my hands on the house.

Will contact Boghopper but meanwhile if anyone has any ideas, please do let me know?

Thanks for the warm welcome!!!

Andy

• Like Like x 2
        • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
          Ratings:
          +14,125
          I know what you are saying about knowing where the children are but I also think it is a fab garden looking at the lay-out again.. I really like having the different "garden rooms" idea & feel myself... As a child I grew up at a home with massive gardens that were devided off into different "rooms" & in the farthest from the house was a lovely flower garden surrounded by hedges on 3 sides with a small shed that was "ours".!!
          It was "our play house" & "our garden".. Although we played all over the garden, this was sort of our area & we just loved it to bits..
          I did a similar thing for my daughter & she & her friends spent hrs playing there.. They still all met in there as teenagers too.. :WINK1: :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
          • Andrew Biggs

Ratings:
            +4
            Yeah just feels like the patio area is so constricted with the extension one side and the garage opposite with loads of room on the field which feels so far away. I dunno, I will probably move in and see how it feels after a few months living there before I make any decision.

Thanks

Andy

• loveweeds

loveweeds Gardener

Ratings:
            +210
            You've got some shady areas there (lower gate/small field) - so don't forget to allow for some woodland or shade plants, there are so many really beautiful ones. The place would be suited because you have mature threes there. Now you only need the middle level=shrubs and the lowest level=perennieals+bulbs.You could have a path meandering through the plants. If you want it more open you leave the shrub level out. Depends on your taste.
            sometimes its good to go to some gardens/parks and look what they have done there and then you can tell your designer what you want it to look like.

• Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +827
            Wow what a beautiful garden to play with just a little idea.Could you make a secret suncken garden here

• Jungle Jane

Jungle Jane Middle Class Twit Of The Year 2005

Local Nutcase
            Ratings:
            +3,225
            Where exactly is your front door?

• Andrew Biggs

Ratings:
            +4
            You know I don't really know. They said front door is the north face where the conservatory is but I will be using the solid wood door on the other side in the corner of the L shape.

This leads directly into the main hall. So probably the best choice.

• Mr Grinch

Mr Grinch Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,359
            I would LOVE to get my hands on that !!!
            Try to include the countryside around you. ie: a low fence to include the fields. It makes your garden look bigger and you get better views or vista's.

G

• Andrew Biggs

Ratings:
            +4
            thanks Grinch. Would be really great to get some of your "doctored" aerial views to see what you would do.

Thanks

• Mr Grinch

Mr Grinch Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,359
            No idea how to do it Andrew.

• Naylors Ark

Naylors Ark Struggling to tame her French acres.

Ratings:
            +1,019
            Just had another thought.
            Do they ever put cows in the adjoining field?
            If they do, don't plant anything too near the boundary. Cows have a habit of leaning in and munching anything to hand.:heehee:

• Like Like x 1
            • Folly Mon

Folly Mon GC Official Counselor

starting new busniss in new year
              Ratings:
              +2,409
              welcome to GC :dbgrtmb:

The word :wow: is a understatement

That House and Plot Is to Die For in my Book

Me & This is just Me I Would Build The Biggest Gothic Folly I Could Poss Build

Then i would Rent it Out For Weddings Photo Shoots

For The Well Healed :lunapic 130165696578242 5:

Charging Around £2.5 £3k a Time big Marquee job done you would not need manny a year to make a successfully Business you could even rent a Marque

Good luck and Most of All Enjoy Wot Ever You Choose To DO :dbgrtmb:

PS Is There Any Chance Of Me Getting a Caravan And Parking Up at the Back Of Your Field Buck Shee??? seems a pity to waste such beautiful land :loll:

PPS Iv Got a Spare Kidney & a Lung if you ever need one

• Like Like x 5