1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Need help unloading our Harissia Cactus ...

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Sneaker, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Sneaker

Sneaker Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Dear Forum Members,

Can anyone assist ... - We have a 30 year old Harissia cactus that has been happily inhabiting the corner of our double height conservatory for the last 20 years, except now we're due to have a new single storey conservative built and so will no longer have room to accomodate this beautiful cactus .... We are loathe to just destroy it as it has been in my wife's family for over 30 years ... It stands approx 10 feet tall and 2 feet wide .... Is there anyone out there that has the room to give it a good home ... ?

We are based in East Hampshire and wouldn't want anything for the cactus - just the knowledge that it will go to a good home and be looked after ... Failing this can anyone recommend an nursery or garden Centre that will take it in ... It would look fantastic in the foyer of a Mexican restaurant although the spines would probably present a health and safety issue .... Any help or advice would be gratefully accepted ...

Sneaker

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,694
    Cant really help much Sneaker,as I'm in a similar situation with a couple of cacti myself.

It sounds like its a massive plant, has it flowered well, by the way?

I dont think if it was me I would be wanting it to go to a restaurant, they usually treat plants as decoration and throw them out once they have managed to kill them through bad light and neglect.

I assume you have taken some cuttings.

You could contact the RHS and ask if they would be interested, or maybe a local gardencentre, preferably an independent one.