1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Need help with new project please

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Wildcat, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Wildcat

Wildcat Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    I have decided to introduce some all round year color to my small area at the front of my cottage. I currently have a few colorful roses planted under the window.
    But would like to cover an adjoining small area with various plants but have no idea what types would look pretty/colorful.

The area covers around 3sq mts. I would like annuals so i don't have to keep replanting. This would be taller plants at the back and mellowing down to lower plants at front. ideally so i had color all year round, with the exception of Winter.

Can some one give me some guidance please ?

2. mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
    +3,718
    Hello @Wildcat you'll soon have loads of advice on plants, I think I'd definitely have foxgloves whichever variety you choose, can i just say you'll need perennials or good self seeders rather than annuals, you've probably got annuals mixed up with perennials easy to do.

3. Wildcat

Wildcat Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Thank you for the reply,Yes indeed i always get those mixed up. Have i got it right? Perennials grow and flower each year ?
    Good start on the fox glove,thought might add some Lupins?.
    When visiting around the village at Rievaulx Abbey in Yorkshire this year i got some great inspiration, really nice gardens, came back with plenty of ideas but just need to put them into practice, with a little help here..

4. mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
    +3,718
    Yes that's right perennials grow and flower and come back each year, lupins are are another great plant, although i don't know Rievaulx Abbey i think visiting places and seeing different things is a great source of inspiration, it seems you're on the right track can't wait to see some photos as you progress.

5. Nikolaos

Nikolaos Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,289