NEED HELP WITH SOME GARDEN RESEARCH!!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by spaceclanger, May 26, 2005.

1. spaceclanger

spaceclanger Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I'm a university student studying at Sheffield Hallam and need to
    complete some research on garden recycling. I'd really appreciate it
    if you could take the time to answer a few questions, even if they're
    only short answers, anything's good!

What kind of garden do you have? (eg - size, location etc)

What kind of things do you recycle in your garden?

Do you use things/objects for other purposes and if so what are they and for
    what purposes are they used?

Anyone got any stories about interesting and creative ways of re-using
    things??

Thanks!
    p.s any interesting pics or other information contact
    [email protected] or [email protected]

2. seedybee68

seedybee68 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Garden - suburban small garden in Berkshire (45ft long)

We have a 1metre high plastic compost bin (from garden centre) for recycling garden and household waste.

Allotment with wooden compost bin made from 3 reclaimed pallettes; taken apart and rebuilt..

3. revin helen

revin helen Gardener

Ratings:
    +36
    Garden is on the edge of a rural town in Somerset and is 17' by 24' enclosed by fwnces and a garage. On the other side of the garage is a hedge row which is being invaded by brambles. I have 2 compost bins which I put shredded brambles annual weeds garden clippings and veg. peelings. I've used coat hangers to stop my hanging baskets being thumped against the wall in windy weather and will have a hose reel made from and old Triumph stag wheel, (if my other half ever gets round to finishing it).
    I use a 5' crow bar to get bramble roots out as the soil is quite stony and have taken to using a small jemmy to plant into the hedgerow bank.
    My fish have a proper pond now but they used to live in a loft water tank.(In the garden not the loft.)

4. lizzie

lizzie Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    large garden in a small village backed onto feilds.Alarge greenhouse,strawberry patch(which I share with the birds)a compost bin curtesy of our local council(it was cheap) A couple of pear trees and a plot of the garden which is left to do its own thing.Plus garage, sheds and lawns.

5. Mrs cloudy

Mrs cloudy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

I have a big garden that is surrounded by fields in NE Scotland. I compost most garden waste as well as a fair bit of household waste. I use the free cds from magazines to scare birds (with limited success, maybe i should play some of them instead :eek: )+ little drinks bottles on top of canes to stop me taking me eye out. Ive been known to knick good planks of wood out of skips to edge beds etc. Old wire fencing makes good plant supports too. I reuse plant pots as much as i can but still have stacks of the bloomin things oh yes and if you chop the bottom off clear 2liter bottles they make nice temporary cloches for young plants. There is more but the best way to put it is that nothing much goes to waste. Helen if you can get hold of a small tyre iron they are ideal for making planting holes for little bulbs. :rolleyes: