1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Need some beginner help with Laurel hedge

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Rory Goldsbrough, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Rory Goldsbrough

Rory Goldsbrough Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    IMG_0067.JPG IMG_0068.JPG IMG_0063.JPG IMG_0064.JPG IMG_0065.JPG IMG_0066.JPG Hello
    I have moved into a new house with a large established Laurel hedge. I have pretty much zero experience of gardening, so want to seek some advice on managing the hedge. Ive learned a lot over the past 12 months but I'm at a stage where advice would be welcome!

So far.. the hedge had a powdery mildew issue, and I have been treating this through the year with fungicide. The situation has improved and Im monitoring the situation into this years growing season where I hope the issue will be resolved.

I have also trimmed the hedge back to shape and control it. One end has been pruned more than the rest as it was quite wild, the pics will show what I mean.

The area Im seeking advice on is this... do I need to be pruning the branches to thin it out? The bush looks quite tightly packed to me and I know this wont help with powdery mildew. I also think by thinning out the branches this may help the appearance of the leaves..

Ill attach some photos, any help and advice is most welcome! :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
      Ratings:
      +5,404
      Hello Rory, and welcome to the forum.
      I nearly didn`t answer your post for fear of saying the wrong thing - but changed my mind.
      That poor hedge has suffered ! Laurel is as tough as old boots, and has managed to keep going there - but it needs much more space than that. Being right next to the wall it has obviously suffered extended dry periods, which of course would explain the mildew.
      Do you like it? .....if that was my patch, I would dig the whole lot out, and make a job of improving the soil there - then grow lots of different plants, including climbers, to pretty it all up a bit

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
      • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
        +0
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +118,484
        Welcome to GC.

I can't see much evidence of powdery mildew so you are obviously coping with it OK. As laurel is so tough I tend to just leave it to itself (I have a rather large amount of it) and just cut it when necessary. I wouldn't be inclined to thin it out as it will only fill back in again very quickly.

Remove any fallen infected leaves and burn or put in the green waste bin. If it gets really dry then you could water it (hose the leaves down as you have it with you). Otherwise, just continue cutting it the way you are.

• Informative Informative x 1