1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Need some ideas

Discussion in 'The GC 'Buttery'' started by Janet mahay, May 22, 2019.

1. Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
    +611
    I i am looking for some ideas when the kids were small i had 2 big lawns but over time i had to reduce the lawns i still kepted 2lawns but i halved them and had concrete paving at the back
    My intention was to either have a summer or greenhouse there but as i have a few trees on each side of my fence and a oak tree at end of the garden which is back of the fence a greenhouse etc would be out as a few pigeons lodge in trees messing up the concrete
    At the back i am planting some shrubs that grow in partial shade but i have a big empty space
    i was thinking of getting a fountain with some flower tubs, but maybe you have some ideas
    Thanks

r

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Janet, a water feature is a great asset to any garden.....maybe post a picture and I am sure ideas will flow:)
    Hydrangeas....check out the paniculata types, Limelight is my favourite, ....associate well with water and partial shade. Sanguisorbas and persicarias too are excellent in partial shade and flower beautifully for weeks. Veronicastrums too, very under used but lovely tall self supporting plants with delightful foliage. For partial shade acteas/cimicifugas have fantastic sculpted purple/brown foliage from spring to autumn with scented spires of white flowers in late summer.
    Philadelphus Aureus would thrive in partial shade......lovely yellow foliage will not burn there and it has wonderfully scented flowers. Contrast with the acteas or with purple Acers or Photinia Red Robin :)

3. Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
    +611
    Thanks verden i will check these plants out
    sent a few days old pic looks untidy at mo but should get it sorted soon

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 23, 2019