1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Need suggestions for a small tree please

Discussion in 'Trees' started by merleworld, May 20, 2012.

1. merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,087
    I've got a raised circular area in the front garden where I would like to plant a small tree, which reaches no more than about 5m in height.

Next door neighbour has a mature Sycamore in his front garden. The circular area is quite exposed to the elements, but in dappled shade for a lot of the day because of the Sycamore.

The area is well drained and soil slightly on the acidic side.

I'm not very au fait with trees so would appreciate some suggestions please :help:

So far I've come up with Magnolia (in fact I did buy a very young Magnolia Susan from Morrisons but it's not shown any signs of life) or a Sorbus or some sort of crab apple, but that's the extent of my knowledge.

2. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
    Clerodendrum trichotomum .... is very fragrant when in bloom[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • merleworld

Ratings:
      +4,087
      Thanks Dim - haven't seen that one before and if it's fragrant then that's a bonus :blue thumb:

It would also give some summer interest to the front garden, which is full of Rhododendrons and Camellias and spring flowering Prunus Otto Luyken.

This is the Sycamore (to be fair it doesn't provide as much shade as it used to because some of the branches have been removed as they were diseased):

[​IMG]

To give more of an idea, this is the raised area in question, which has been dug over and compost mixed in :

[​IMG]

You can see the relationship to the Sycamore on this one. Sycamore trunk on left, raised area on right. The front garden the other side contains a massive horse chestnut but doesn't overshadow that area.

[​IMG]

• longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +23,089
      C.trichotomum is a fantastic plant (as are most Clerodendrums), but it has a reputation for suckering anything up to a metre or so away.
      Not a good enough reason not to try it though!

• Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
      Ratings:
      +6,654
      Hi, Birches and Sorbus (Rowans) often fall in to the small tree catagory, but many people plant the 'common-or-garden' varieties, there are other more intereting cultivars out there;

The Purple Birch for example;
      http://www.mailordertrees.co.uk/Bet...age=Betula_'Purpurea'_(Purple_Leaf_Birch_Tree)

or the Hakkoda Orange Birch;
      http://www.mailordertrees.co.uk/Bet...nge+Birch+Tree)/0_caaa102_caaa114/PRAB394.htm

Have a look at this link, plenty to look at :blue thumb:;
      http://www.mailordertrees.co.uk/Ornamental+Trees/0_CAAA102.htm

• merleworld

Ratings:
      +4,087
      Thanks Bilbo - I have been looking at that site as well :blue thumb:

• HYDROGEN86

HYDROGEN86 Head Gardener

Ratings:
      +883
      Hi Merleworld, i bought a magnolia susan from morrisons too, only cost me a few pounds. The first year it did very little but the second year it flowered and has put lots of new growth on. Compared to alot of other magnolia i see when im on my travels it looks a lot healthier. So since you already have a magnolia, if it was me i would reserve the spot for the magnolia and save the cash :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
      • merleworld

Ratings:
        +4,087
        Thanks Hydrogen :) There is hope that it will start to grow then. It's only about 12 inches tall at the moment.

I've scratched the branches and they are green underneath, so will persevere (but may grow it in a pot and buy a another one for the garden).

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +52,610
        Acer or Prunus. Both of these have red leafed varieties and they would offset all the green trees in the area. :)