Need to vent - apologies in advance!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Sian in Belgium, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +9,232
    Hubby is back in Wales this weekend, visiting his mum, before he brings her out to stay with us for a couple of weeks. He drove over straight after work on Thursday, so arrived just before midnight UK time. The plan was that he would have a couple of days to recover from that "double shift", before driving back on Sunday afternoon/evening.

Now, my in-laws have never driven. We are used to their directions to a pub for lunch, being dodgy, to downright dangerous. "Terrible-what-they-said-in-the-Argos-isn't-it?-turn-right-now ... oh, you missed the turn!". We've learned to quietly double check the route before heading out. But yesterday takes the biscuit.
    MiL casually mentions yesterday afternoon that there is a velothon taking place on Sunday, so the roads will be closed...! Yup, the South Wales Velathon basically goes in a circle around her town, meaning you can't go south (Cardiff), west (Newport and M4) or north (Heads of the Valleys and Abergavenny).

Fortunately, we have taken to not booking the return crossing until we are already in the UK, because stuff ... um ... happens. But "the roads are closed"! - we would have planned the visit around another weekend, for heaven's sake!?!

Now, I'm sure that wriggling through the back roads, there is possibly a way through, but hubby doesn't want a stressful couple of hours to travel 15 miles, at the beginning of an 8 hour, 500 mile journey! Needless to say, they are coming back tonight instead!!

Feel better now, for getting that off my chest!

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +84,360
      Its a funny old place,....... Wales.:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +9,232
        God's own country, or at least his favourite "garden". I love it, but getting there, from here, is challenging, at best of times!

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +84,360
        I've only been there once in my life.
        I drove through loads of villages, but never saw anyone, does Wales close on Thursdays?:biggrin:

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Funny Funny x 1
        • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
          Ratings:
          +14,124
          Well totally understand your rant @Sian in Belgium :uh-oh: there might be one advantage to making the trip tonight in that it might be cooler then... Very frustrating none the less... :thud:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
          • Like Like x 1
          • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            I lived in Wales, Thursdays are bank holidays.

• Funny Funny x 1