Needs Must....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Doghouse Riley, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    My wife was complaining that she was lately having difficulty getting out of the shower as the doorway is quite narrow. I knew what she meant, as you have to be careful you don't bump into the sides as you go in and out. It must be even more difficult with her MS as she's not too steady on her feet.

The doors could open wider but they are set to stop the left hand door sliding into the wall and the right hand door handle into the glass side panel

[​IMG]

There was talk of a new shower, visions of a big expense came into mind.

I had a look at it and could see that if the right-hand sliding door stops and the handle were removed, the right-hand door could be slid further back behind the glass wall and the entrance could be made 6" wider.

So I moved the stops, just a case of unscrewing them and drilling a couple of pilot holes for the self-tapping screws in the top and bottom rail, which secure the stops and then reversing the handle so the studs that secured it were on the outside and wouldn't foul the side glass wall.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ten minutes work saved me many hundreds of pounds.

• Like Like x 2
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,184
      Hi,

Nice fix .. :smile:

One thing that seems missing to us , is the lack of safety grab rails inside the shower, something we are just looking at ourselves as the only thing we have, like yours, is the shower riser rail which is not that strong and if you are slipping , rather high up.

• Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
      Ratings:
      +4,411
      Thanks for that.

We've discussed a handle but she says one on the wall would be of no use to her when she's getting out.
      She's OK if she doesn't bump into the open doors and she says there's enough space now. She says once she's out she can make a "grab" for the corner of the vanity unit, which is only is couple of feet away from the door.

P1010488.JPG

Digressing..

The family call my wife "the gadget queen" as she has so many.

That white "thing," in the corner is used for cleaning the shower, it has an an extension, a circular rotating brush head fits into the end. It's battery operated and is ideal for cleaning the shower as it can get into the door track rails and corners.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019