1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Neglected Area / Veg Advice

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by dannytrose, May 29, 2005.

1. dannytrose

dannytrose Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello All,

My first post, advice would be much appreciated.

I've started growing my first veg this year, some in pots, some in a raised bed. Must admit if I get one piece from each plant I'll be happy, I know that might defeat the object but ha ho.

Anyway, back to my questions, what veg can I plant in the raised beds for winter?

Also, I have a area of neglected land, am I right in saying potatoes would grow happily and also help the soil? Failing that what could I grow?

2. Mrs cloudy

Mrs cloudy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    You should still be able to get a good choice of brassicas for winter. There are heaps of local garden club sales in my area just now selling all sorts of young vegies. I may be wrong but i expect you will still get some down your way. You still have time to sow carrots, peas and lettuce amongst others for use all summer and into autumn. You are right about the tatties being good for the neglected bit, however i recon you are a bit late for this year. Its worth trying a to get a late crop in part of the area, but i would personally concentrate on digging in as much well rotted manure as you can and getting it right for either an autumn sowing of something, or for next spring. Sorry that was a bit long winded

3. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Oh, happy you to have such a bank canvass!
    I put in lots and lots of purple sprouting broccoli for over-wintering and reap the harvest in very early spring. It gives me a great sense of satisfaction to pick buckets of the stuff when it's �£1.99 for a handful of floppy sprouts in the supermarkets!
    As Mrs C says, it's probably too late for potatoes this year but you can spend the next 8 or 9 months planning which is nearly as much fun! :D

[ 29. May 2005, 08:40 PM: Message edited by: michaelmasdaisy ]