1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Neglected garden help

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by Phil Clark, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Phil Clark

Phil Clark Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi

It's been a while since my first post, I have now moved into the property with the long neglected garden, I have put a shed up, and cut the "Grass", I would really appreciate any suggestions as to how to tackle the grass? I have prodded about with a spade, and found what must have been borders, the soil beneath the weed is lovely, so I'll kill the weed and resurrect those in some way, see the picture showing the grass area at rear of house, I was thinking of getting rid of it and doing some slab work? or is this grass area a possibility to bring back from the dead, I know I have some work on my hands, any suggestions are welcome folk.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,201
      Hi,

That looks a lovely long garden with lots of potential.

Just depends on what you are aiming for, purely ornamental or mixed with veg/ greenhouse etc.

Lots of planning needed, but perhaps better to work in smaller sections as you are able.

The grass where you have the table and chair does look ideal for a paved patio type area, but the rest of the grass should respond to regular moving and care in spring.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
        Ratings:
        +6,097
        Over the years, I have witnessed many folk standing in their garden or on their plot surrounded by weed and allsorts. My advice. Relax. Then rather than prancing about slashing this and that down. STOP.

Select a starting point. Most often this will be where you enter. So in your mind' eye or even marking out. Do just that. Select an area. Now never mind the rest. Concentrate on just this area. Perhaps simply cutting down, perhaps skimming the suface off and even turning that area over. Having done that, move on and repeat the process. Trust me, you will be amazed at how quickly yo will clear your garden/plot.

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,201
        Hi,

Think for such a long narrow garden we would look at doing something on the lines of the layouts below where you create several different but linked areas, each one being an area of you can enjoy on its own.

Of course it all depends on what you want and if its more a family garden that needs to cater for children as well as adults.
        The far end looks like it might catch the sun more and be ideal for veg and a greenhouse, or left a bit wilder for the kids to play in ...

000113.jpg 000114.jpg

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1