1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Nemasys Vine Weevil Killer

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by lowrider69, Mar 30, 2019.

1. lowrider69

lowrider69 Gardener

Disabled
    Ratings:
    +174
    Hi I seen some beetle lava and treated them with Nemasys Vine Weevil Killer as they were all new plants but seeing there a year old now do you think I need to retreat?

just this stuff is not cheap and I would rather spend it on sitting by the sea with my mrs eating fish & chips or fuel for my bike lol

what do you think guys?

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    You need to treat once a year at least lowrider69:) initially, twice a year to catch them in their breeding cycles :)
    Do you mean you treated them a year ago?

I’m prob at the stage where I think I can pass on weevil treatment....hopefully. I used to treat in autumn and again in spring, catch the adult weevils and avoid neat mpc if possible and it seems to have dramatically reduced their numbers. Over the past year or so I have had very little damage from them:)
    You can identify weevil susceptible plants though....heucheras, fuchsias, primroses etc., are nearly always their targets so by checking these plants you can reduce their numbers in your garden:)

• Like Like x 1
    • lowrider69

lowrider69 Gardener

Disabled
      Ratings:
      +174
      well it was late spring i think.

• Verdun

Ratings:
      +17,487
      Yes apply again then...good time now :)
      You can also use a vine weevil killer (provado)which is very effective and can be used in the cold months
      You can’t use both provado and nematodes though unless several months apart.
      However, I find nematodes my choice....ideal for leatherjackets etc in lawns, for pests in the veg patch and for slugs. You can even use them to control ants in lawns:)

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +86,035
      Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you need different types of nematode to control slugs as to the ones that control vine weevil? etc. etc.

The bank balance needs to be pretty healthy to go down this road.:biggrin:

• Verdun

Ratings:
      +17,487
      Yes Pete, different nematodes for ants, slugs, weevils, soil pests etc. Yes, I know they are expensive but if timed right can be cost effective I think :)

• Informative Informative x 1