1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Nemesia Wisley Vanilla

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by CazH1975, Aug 7, 2011.

1. CazH1975

CazH1975 Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    I bought one of these plants months ago and its grown loads in the pot I've planted it into. Can I split and make more or will that kill it? It smells absolutely gorgeous and looks so pretty. Thanks

2. Louise D

Louise D Head Gardener

Medical.
    Ratings:
    +502
    Not only could you split it you can cut a piece off and just stick it in the ground - it will take !
    I have N. 'confetti' aswell as this one and they're as tough as old boots, staying evergreen in mild winters and shrugging off the minus 12 we had last year.

• Like Like x 3
    • WolfieKate

WolfieKate Gardener

Marketing, then Mum, then tbc!
      Ratings:
      +150
      Really glad you asked that as I bought this as well and the smell is astonishing! I want to try and keep it going too. :)

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,046
      I agree, I bought one too and the fragrance is excellent, it just keeps on flowering - no dead heading - just plonked it in and it's paid back with a divine smell ever since.

• Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
      Ratings:
      +6,654
      Sounds like I may have to try and find one of these plants, they sound like they would be a good addition to my patch :thumb:

• Louise D

Louise D Head Gardener

Medical.
      Ratings:
      +502
      You shouldn't have any difficulty as i've seen them in all the local garden centres near here, 'Confetti' and 'Wisley Vanilla' are the only 2 that i know to be hardy - there are quite a few that seem to be sold as annuals, they're prettier but won't come through hard winters.

• Like Like x 2
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +46,046
        Thanks for that Louise, I hadn't realised it was hardy, just assumed it was going to die off like the rest of my bedding. I'll try your cutting propogation tip too :thumbsup:

• Robajob

Robajob Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +8
        As has been said Nemesia are one of the easiest plants to grow from cuttings. One parent plant can supply you with a garden full! I have several varieties and all flower until hard frosts. I overwinter mine in the cool greenhouse.

• Like Like x 1
        • Thyhootman

Thyhootman Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
          +0
          My nemesia was wonderful all summer and well into autumn. Although not a harsh winter, I now have a stick like shrub. Will this come back or is it a goner?