1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Never Too Old To Learn

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Mike Allen, Feb 15, 2021.

1. Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
    Ratings:
    +6,097
    I felt highly honoured. When recently a very respected friend of mine. Dr. Julian (John) Howden, asked me to review some lengthy articles on roses. What might my opinion be, regarding contacting a publisher, to have the information published.
    Dr. Howden was engaged with a team at Bath University, and a five year study was made, on the subject of Rose Black Spot and so, so much more about roses.

John had been a scientific advisor to the late, Royal National Rose Society. Some forum members may be members of. The Rose Society. UK in which case, some of the information may be known.

As I say. Never Too Old To Learn. I have learned some new points, and thankfully, have had my knowledge backed up. I will here and there, pass on new findings, at the same time. Respecting and safeguarding my friend's writings.

• Like Like x 6
    • flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
      Ratings:
      +1,648
      I have to admit, I don't like roses. Why? I hear pitchforks and lynching parties being organised. Behind lawns, they are are the next hardest thing to keep looking good in the garden...plus you lose blood in doing so. Rust, blackspot, a plethora of aphids, gross feeding, pruning and those thorns!
      I worked as a gardener for a few years not so long ago, everyone I visited had roses, all in a sorry state through lack of care. Bringing these back to health is a full time job in itself. Alright, I hold my hands up, most were those mass produced tea roses, the ones with no smell, but clean up and TLC is pretty much the same for them all. I appreciate a decent, musky old English variety when it's pruned correctly, but most encountered aren't.
      I do grow roses but in tubs. These were purchased to mark the passing of our dogs.
      Roses are hard work, they stop you procrastinating!

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Nikolaos

Nikolaos Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,288
        @Mike Allen I love roses but in other people's gardens Mike, I agree with @flounder that they are far too high-maintenance. But I must say that I am continually surprised by (and admire) those few gardeners who don't object to all the work required to grow them well and never seem to tire of it. There is the other sort of gardener like me who thinks a garden should be created, then occasionally improved and refined, but primarily just enjoyed. I would rather sit back with a glass of white wine and watch the incredible diversity of insect life in a pollinator-friendly garden. I have grown a lot of roses for their scent in the past: Alec's Red, Fragrant Cloud, Blue Moon, Warm Wishes and Special Anniversary. But they are simply too time-consuming and I have other priorities, so I have decided to just keep my 'Margaret Merril' floribunda and dedicate all the time it deserves to it, grow it to the absolute best of my abilities. :) I am also very tempted by the delightful 'Rhapsody In Blue' ever since I smelled it a few years ago, the fragrance is absolutely heavenly after the flowers have been in the sun for a few hours! So yes, roses are lovely but a very immersive branch of Horticulture and I find there is sometimes little time for anything else with all the work and study required to truly appreciate them. :dunno:

Rhapsody in Blue

Nick

• Like Like x 3
        • Agree Agree x 2
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
          Ratings:
          +50,646
          Congratulations Mike on being asked to contribute.

I had three roses here, Sunseeker, Oranges and Lemons and Rhapsoday in Blue. The latter only last a couple of years, then Oranges and Lemons and I still have Sunseeker having purchased her on the IoW as an 18" Patio plant 20 years ago. She is now rambling over the roof of our Jungle Room.

Sunseeker2 26 May 10.jpg

Oranges & Lemons 2 Jan 2012.JPG

RhapsodyOct07.jpg

• Like Like x 5
          • Nikolaos

Nikolaos Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +4,288
            Oh dear Victoria, I wonder why it perished? Funnily enough my Blue Moon only lasted that long, makes me think it might be related to all the hybridisation with these 'blue' roses. Could they generally be a tad more temperamental? :noidea: I hadn't heard of Sunseeker, a very nice rose whose colour complements your garden well, I think! :)

Sounds interesting. Our own Sandy Ground's continuing experimentation with the Thuja cuttings mulch has been fascinating to read for me. Would be great if a non-chemical solution could be found! :blue thumb:

Nick

• Like Like x 2
            • Friendly Friendly x 2
            • Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
              Ratings:
              +50,646
              I tried hard to keep it alive but I lost the battle. Oranges and Lemons last quite a few years then suddenly went! All three in the same area so very strange. When I planted Sunseeker in the ground it just took off to almost three meters! Odd thing is it has kept it's small leaves, has huge clusters of flowers (50+) and is lightly scented.

• Like Like x 2
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
                Ratings:
                +44,486
                The hybrid tea roses that I've got hav6 a good scent to them, so they're not all of the same.:)

• Friendly Friendly x 3
                • Agree Agree x 1